Antifoul - whats is going on?

PEJ

Visit site
My work overlaps with part of the chemical industry and I know that some companies sell branded chemicals at much higher prices than other non branded or not well know chemicals but what is inside the tub is either exactly the same thing or very very similar. The branded guys have big marketing budgets to pay for.

So is the same thing going on with antifoul? Afterall it is just a blend of chemicals in the end.

I have a motor cruiser capable of well over 25 knts kept on the Solent and I have narrowed the choice down to

International Trilux 33 £88 for 2.5L

Hempel Blakes Cruising Performer £45 for 2.5L

Premier 1 can £40 for 2.5L

I'm not a penny pincher but I hate paying over the odds when I can get the very same thing cheaper.

So the obvious choice is the Premier stuff but can any one tell me - do you get what you pay for or is the Premier stuff much the same as the International stuff?

SolentPhill

Visit site
I think before you see which one you want you should see what's on it at mo, anything you save will be used up if you change brand as you will need a primer.

oceandrive

www.oceandrivecharter.com
I use the Trilux 33 on a 92 foot hull with a top speed of 40 Knots. Benefits with the Trilux is that it is now self polishing which works well with he higher hull speeds and also reduces the need for rubbing back the build up.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I changed brands without applying another coat of primer and it has stuck to my hull for two years now.

Last anti foul I added a load of copper powder to the mix - it involves stirring the mixture every couple of minutes to stop the copper sinking - and my bottom is so clean I may forgo my annual powerwash.

Last edited:

DAKA

Visit site
My work overlaps with part of the chemical industry and I know that some companies sell branded chemicals at much higher prices than other non branded or not well know chemicals but what is inside the tub is either exactly the same thing or very very similar. The branded guys have big marketing budgets to pay for.

So is the same thing going on with antifoul? Afterall it is just a blend of chemicals in the end.

I have a motor cruiser capable of well over 25 knts kept on the Solent and I have narrowed the choice down to

International Trilux 33 £88 for 2.5L

Hempel Blakes Cruising Performer £45 for 2.5L

Premier 1 can £40 for 2.5L

I'm not a penny pincher but I hate paying over the odds when I can get the very same thing cheaper.

So the obvious choice is the Premier stuff but can any one tell me - do you get what you pay for or is the Premier stuff much the same as the International stuff?

I agree the Premier 1 stands out against the rest in that

1) it will adhere to other makes

2) its self eroding so you avoid the build up / flake off as it gets too thick

3) and expense of complete removal in 2-3 years.

I will be very pleased to hear how you get on with it in a year/two years but it sounds to tick the right boxes and as a bonus is cheaper than the rest !

International cruiser Uno is not much more expensive (£65 for 3L) and is designed to cover in one coat, you could end up using less and saving time.
Cruiser uno is designed for boats up to 25 knts.
I exceed 25 knots on a regular basis for short durations but cruise @ 25knots
its stayed on my hull well and so far kept growth away.

Ripster

Visit site
I used EU45 for a few years and its has been very good - no real growth except some slime and the usual waterline beard. But this year I am trying Jotun which seems to have an excellent rep - we'll see.

BobPrell

Visit site
My boating club.

One of our members addressed the group about anti-fouling, he being an employee of a paint company.

He said that the amount of antifoul used on ships was so much more than what goes on pleasure craft, that they could give away paint to pleasure users and call it a public relations or research exercise, and it would hardly affect their profits.

But I suppose you could say that about all coatings.

Just havin a dream.

Scubadoo

Visit site
I used premier one last year and very please with the performance. The boat has just been lifted and no marine growth after 12months, except for some slime in places. So, I am ordering it again as I feel it is a better performer than the International Ultra I used to use. At £39.99 for 2.5l is pretty good compared to £100 to ultra!

Also I tried the outdrive Premier One paint and it pretty much was still on my prop 12months later (except one blade) with hardly any marine growth.

Gk 66

Visit site
I used premier one last year and very please with the performance. The boat has just been lifted and no marine growth after 12months, except for some slime in places. So, I am ordering it again as I feel it is a better performer than the International Ultra I used to use. At £39.99 for 2.5l is pretty good compared to £100 to ultra!

Also I tried the outdrive Premier One paint and it pretty much was still on my prop 12months later (except one blade) with hardly any marine growth.

I've used Premier one can for the first time this year. Fingers crossed!