Antifoul on metal

Sailfree

Visit site
Antifouling boat last weekend I am using International Micron Extra.

My understanding is that this is a hard self erroding antifoul with biocides and copper in the mix.

IIRC this should not be used on Aluminium (saildrive legs, outdrive units) but looking round the marina it appears many do. Is there a problem using this on metals including phosphor bronze Z bracket and SS prop shaft?

I will go to internationals web site to get the "official " advice but wondered what other experience was in case the official advice is really to sell more product when there is not any problem.

Stork_III

Visit site
Antifouling boat last weekend I am using International Micron Extra.

My understanding is that this is a hard self erroding antifoul with biocides and copper in the mix.

IIRC this should not be used on Aluminium (saildrive legs, outdrive units) but looking round the marina it appears many do. Is there a problem using this on metals including phosphor bronze Z bracket and SS prop shaft?

I will go to internationals web site to get the "official " advice but wondered what other experience was in case the official advice is really to sell more product when there is not any problem.
International Trilux is recommended for saildrive legs. I think SS and bronze don't have a problem with copper antifoulings.

VicS

Visit site
Antifouling containing copper (I) oxide should not be used on aluminium

Trilux 33 ( which contains copper(I) thiocyanate ) is suitable for use on aluminium subject to the original paint coating being sound and over-coated with the appropriate primer

Micron Extra may not adhere well to bronze or stainless steel but I can find no advice on suitable primers on the data sheets.

International Yachtpaint used to have a good website. The new one is ****.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/gbr/diy/default.aspx