antifoul curry

icepatrol

Visit site
ok so another anitfoul query wit ha difference.
some years ago on here it was suggested mixing curry powder with ur anti.....
severl did and had good results.
any takers ????

VicS

Visit site
Mine came out very free of fouling. Muddy, no weed, less than a handful of barnacles ... normally inside the keels and the bottom between the keels is totally covered.

I forgot to add the chilli powder !

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
One of the boats at our lift out site did this a few years ago and he had severe fouling which was worse than usual. He thought that the Tamar weed and barnacles liked the taste of the chili powder that he added to his antifouling paint.

My feeling is that if something so cheap (relatively) and easy was efficacious then the paint manufacturers would be doing it...

ccscott49

Visit site
I use chili powder in my antifoul every time, mine normally lasts about two years, not much in the way of Fauna fouling, some flora but not much, seems to work well for me.
Being very cheap here in Barcelona I will continue to put it in.

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
The "hot" component of chilli (capsaicin) works by activating pain receptors withou actually causing any damage. Capsaicin receptors are widely distributed in the vertebrate animals, though it is unclear whether related receptors in some of the invertebrates (such as the arthropods including barnacles) are involved in pain signalling. All this suggests that chilli could possibly discourage barnacles but could not possibly affect the algae and micro-organisms that are responsible for most fouling. I've seen at least two published controlled trials involving painting stripes of various antifouls including chilli-loaded ones on panels which were then immersed in the sea for a season. Neither of these suggested that chilli made antifoul more effective or was of any value on its own. Another point is that, in most European coastal waters, grey mullet graze slime off boats and make a partial contribution to keeping the bottom clean. These fish are definitely capsaicin-sensitive and are likely to be repelled by vindaloo boats.

gjgm

Visit site
I forget where, but I think one of the manufacturers was asked about chilli in an interview, and I think his point was that if it did work, they d be delighted as they wouldnt have to spend fortunes on r+d meeting enviromental matters !

Easticks28

Visit site
I've added chilli powder to the last two coats of antifoul. It does not have any effect on the weed but the animals don't like it at all - we had very few barnacles even after 18 months in the water.

We have a problem with Zebra Mussels on the Norfolk Broads, so it may be worth a try. How much per what volume?

wotayottie

Visit site
ok so another anitfoul query wit ha difference.
some years ago on here it was suggested mixing curry powder with ur anti.....
severl did and had good results.
any takers ????

met a Swedish gyno once and he had mixed an antibiotic (tetracyclene I think) into his antifoul every year courtesy of the Swedish NHS, and swore by the results. If you work for the NHS or have a friend that does /......................

ccscott49

Visit site
The "hot" component of chilli (capsaicin) works by activating pain receptors withou actually causing any damage. Capsaicin receptors are widely distributed in the vertebrate animals, though it is unclear whether related receptors in some of the invertebrates (such as the arthropods including barnacles) are involved in pain signalling. All this suggests that chilli could possibly discourage barnacles but could not possibly affect the algae and micro-organisms that are responsible for most fouling. I've seen at least two published controlled trials involving painting stripes of various antifouls including chilli-loaded ones on panels which were then immersed in the sea for a season. Neither of these suggested that chilli made antifoul more effective or was of any value on its own. Another point is that, in most European coastal waters, grey mullet graze slime off boats and make a partial contribution to keeping the bottom clean. These fish are definitely capsaicin-sensitive and are likely to be repelled by vindaloo boats.

The mullet in Barcelona are definitely not repelled by the chili in my antifoul, seems they may be Indian ones!

JAYEL

Visit site
Antifoul curry

Tried it 3 years running on my Trapper moored at Tilbury. No good. Tried it mixed with Tabasco, No good. Gone back defeated to regular hard antifouling.

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
Putting tetracyclines or any opther antibiotic into the marine environment would be a pretty irresponsible action - exposure of micro-organisms to low antibiotic doses is the best way of producing antibiotic-resistant bugs.

jfkal

Visit site
Chilli?

Nope. Another urban myth. I tried it to no effect. Same goes for Lanoline. Those who claim that it works may not have had much fouling where they are anyway even without it.

carlton

Visit site
Nope. Another urban myth. I tried it to no effect. Same goes for Lanoline. Those who claim that it works may not have had much fouling where they are anyway even without it.

Lanolin doesn't prevent growth. It simply provides a 'slippy' base from which growth slides off when the boat's in use. That's what's happened in my experience - sadly, for about six months only...

Edit; I can also confirm that 2kg./£48 worth of sintered copper powder (subsequently oxidised prior to immersion) made sweet f.a. difference to the efficacy of Interspeed Ultra at £110 a tin...

Last edited: