Anti-nuclear Protests in Cherbourg

jeanette

Visit site
See here [http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0919-01.htm]

"The US plan to send 140 kilograms of bomb-grade plutonium for processing in France will be the most controversial nuclear shipment for years. Throughout its two-week voyage, the plutonium will be protected by British military forces. When it arrives at the port of Cherbourg it is expected to be greeted by protesters."

It's not clear when they are due to arrive - I only hope there are no blockades by fisherman in sympathy with the protesters.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jeanette

Cutter

Visit site
Isnt it going to be fun?
Gales, protesting fishermen and now the chance to glow in the dark!

Seriously tho - at what wind level will butters butt out? We dont want to encourage foolhardy behaviour if first timers are joining us. I guess the balance between adventure and discomfort will vary on the boat but might be useful to know the threshold that skippers would not wish to cross. Seem to remember boats turning back last year.....!

Cheers
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I won't be going with any 7+ in the forecast, which there is at present, according to MarineCall for Thursday night and Friday.

Obvoiusly, it is very imporant that all skippers make their own decisions, and do not feel encouraged by, or committed to, any body else.

Just because some arrangements have been made, doesn't mean we are forcing anybody to make the crossing !!

<hr width=100% size=1>I'm H A P P Y, I'm H A P P Y...I know I am, I'm sure ...etc. (New engine works wonders!)

tome

www.google.co.uk
Richard

We had forecast F6 going over last year but this increased for a while mid channel. Coming back we had steady F6. Big difference is that we're not going on top of springs this year so that's a factor for sea state. For our crew, I'd probably call a halt if it's forecast much more than F6 (or F5 on the nose) as we're not getting any younger and the thought of a long wet beat through the night isn't as exciting these days.

For first timers, F5 might be a more sensible limit but this depends on the boat and crew.

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i have my own rule. i won't set out if the forecast is for more than 4 ahead or 6 behind. for the moment some forecasts are saying 'go' on that basis, others are saying stay home. decision time is thursday.

p.s if we do go there's a spare double berth

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
I think what we are looking at is a combination of a squeeze between high and low and a front that may whip down through the channel on late Thurs/early Fri

Like most I won't be making my mind up until Thursday but my money in on continuing unsettled weather for the next week or so. Unless that high gets its act together and starts to deflect them thar lows.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
won't go if its forecast more than F6 on or aft the beam (once went with a forecast F6 and ended up with a solid F8/9) or a F5 on the nose .. also a major consideration will be getting back .. do'nt want to donate any more dosh to the ferries!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jimi on 20/09/2004 13:48 (server time).</FONT></P>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Weather

I was going to cross on Wednesday, as the forcast looked to be the best of a bad job. With the current train of thought, maybe I shall leave it to Friday as ‘they’ are then talking of NW winds.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

CaptainCava

Visit site
Re: Weather

.........or why not go on thriday with the possibilty of north by south north winds and the prospect of a cracking reachbeat.

whatever 'they' forecast you can be sure it will be right or wrong.
See you over there.........or not!
(maybe)

<hr width=100% size=1>