Anti-fouling - what do you do?

bedouin

Visit site
It seems to have been a bad year for weed this year.

Last year one application of anti-fouling kept the boat pretty well clear of weed all season (Moored in Langstone Harbour). This year (mooring in Portsmouth Harbour) I began to notice the affects of fouling after about 3 months in the water (log under-reading). Recently, in the relatively clear water of the Channel Islands, I was horrified to notice six inch long growths of seaweed attached to the rudder.

Yes - I know I should have hauled the boat out for a scrub mid-season, but having "got away with it" last year I thought I would try the same again - and I was reluctant to sacrifice a weekends sailing for the pleasures of scraping the hull.

With my thoughts now turning to the winter maintenance season, I am wondering what to try next year - has anyone found a reliable solution for keeping the bottom clean enough from one end of the season to another - or should I resign myself to regular scrub-offs?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Almost the same as "TwisterKen", but at Falmouth harbour.

Only one coat of XM HS3000 (yes the same XM (but HS3000) as everyone has condemned) and when dried out two weeks ago, due to barnacles around the log causing turbulance and under reading, found only slime and a few bits of barnacle growth on the prop.

There were areas on the leading edge of the twin keels and rudder skeg that had no XM antifouling but the previous Jotum SeaGuardian still working and keeping it free of growth.

I just gave the hull a light scrub and a polish to the prop. Around the log fitting, I gave it a good coating of antifouling. So I hope that stays clear for the rest of the season.

Next years antifouling is to be Jotum Super Tropic. Lets' hope it's as good.

regards,
Philip

G

I don't know if you can get your hands on this stuff over there, but here in Florida we often add Tetracycline
to our bottom paint and some even add cayenne pepper. It works...really boosts the paints anti-fouling abilities.

I use a paint called Pettit Trinidad. It has a very high cuprous oxide content and is a very effective anti-fouling
paint. I think they have a new one called SR that is really good for green growth. Don't know if its available over there.

G

Not quite the same subject but what does everyone do to get the stuff off when it needs to be replaced? Any thoughts most welcome!

David

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Jotun Super Tropic

I used this last year and had excellent results. My boat went 12 months in the water in an area of high fouling at Exmouth and came out with just a few small barnacles and general slime only. I bought 1 gallon of super tropic from a fishermans store in Brixham for £20!