Antenna cable in wooden mast.

DownWest

Visit site
I am building a wooden mast over the winter. The question is, would it be ok to run one PVC conduit up in the mast for the mast light and VHF antenna. Logic says the shielding round the antenna cable should stop any interference. Any thoughts from more experienced people out there?
Thanks, Andrew

meldrum

Visit site
If your using rigid pvc conduit (that normally comes in 3mtr lengths), make sure you glue the joiners using the proper glue as they have a habit of popping out if just push fitted.Its also a good idea to put a draw wire in the conduit before fitting it into the mast and put another one in alongside when you use the original to pull the cables in. also make sure the conduit is well secured using saddles or another means.

DownWest

Visit site
Thanks for the tips Meldrum, the mast is not long,6.5mt. and will be built `birdsmouth´with blocking at the heel,cap and in the way of the gaff jaws. The conduit will have to turn at the heel and come out of the f´ward side as it is tabernacle stepped. though I might just run it out of the end and groove the heel for better access. I am doing a lot of electical work on the house, so no shortage of materials....
A

meldrum

Visit site
It is quite easy to put a 90degree bend in pvc conduit using a conduit bending spring. Also available from wh/salers although a lot cheaper to borrow one for five mins.

DownWest

Visit site
Yes, got that kit. And they sell, locally, glue bends. I was thinking of the practicality in assembly. There is no stress at the bottom as it is a deep tabernacle (boom attached to it) so grooving the foot after glue up looks a bit easier.
Andrew