Antares 8 inboard anchor choice

ybw23

Visit site
I have a 2009 Antares 8 and want to have confidence in anchoring for day trips and overnight around the Solent area.

The current anchor is as per original fit Britany anchor and from my experience and others comments this won't hold in mud.

I was hoping to find something that would set well every time and not require a lot of modifications to the roller.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I am surprised that a Brittany anchor hasn't been found satisfactory in mud. It is (like the Fortress) a variation on the Danforth anchor, which is noted as being best suited to mud and perhaps less favoured for other bottoms.

My own fairly extensive experience of anchoring in mud with a couple of Danforth's of different sizes (I don't know if they were genuine Danforths or or copies) was the main problem was getting them up again once they'd dug themselves in!

p.s. This old thread about Brittany anchors suggests many people, though not all, were unhappy about them.
Brittany Anchors

Last edited:

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I had a Bruce copy before splashing out on the Vulcan. The Bruce held really well in mud, they are cheap new and dirt cheap secondhand. You could afford to pick one up and try it at minimal cost. We anchor in a variety of seabeds so I wanted something more versatile.