Antares 7.80 hydraulic steering

Jon Stacey

Visit site
Just been out and having left the mooring realised that the steering was ridiculously light and had to be really careful how we got back on the mooring - found that one of the hydraulic hoses to the outboard (Suzuki DF150) had perished where it bends towards the cylinder and was leaking. Presumably I was pumping air through the system rather than fluid and therefore there was no pressure. Does anyone know where the pump and reservoir is on this model? I've looked but can't find it and will go back out and have another look tomorrow morning. I will need to get a couple of new hoses by the looks of it, top up the cyclinder and then bleed the system?

If anyone's done this job can you give me any advice please? Google hasn't been my friend on this occasion unless I'm being blind and the manual for the boat has a one page diagram which is worse than useless.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
As suggested. Thanks. Now just need to get hoses and fittings, fluid and bleed! I say just...
Some techies have a machine which plugs in to both ends of the system and bleeds/filters the system at the same time. Cost me £40 on my last boat, well worth the hassle avoidance.

Jon Stacey

Visit site
Thanks Jamie, I saw a video of that online called Speedy Purge from the pump manufacturer Pompe LS and agree that would save a lot of mucking about. Trouble is my boat is in the middle of the river...

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Thanks Jamie, I saw a video of that online called Speedy Purge from the pump manufacturer Pompe LS and agree that would save a lot of mucking about. Trouble is my boat is in the middle of the river...
The machine is roughly the size of a pressure washer. Either bring the boat to shore or transport the kit out.