Another old chestnut -paper or electronic?

johndf

Visit site
As we've had another round of the propellor drag saga, it's about time we discussed electronic versus paper charts again. Next summer's cruise is going to be the South coast of Brittany. I haven't bought any charts yet, but I'm wondering about going for the Maptech electronic ones at £100 for 20 instead of the paper ones at £15 each. I wouldn't be happy to rely entirely on the electronic ones alone, so I would print off copies of all the crucial parts and probably buy one paper chart which covers the whole area.

So, experienced e-charters - how do you use them? on-screen only, printed copies, or do you go for the real belt and braces and buy the full sized paper versions as well as the e-charts?

G

And for the big question

Do you for a PC based system or a bespoke chart plotters?
If PC for what system do you use and why?
If a chart plotter for which one and why?

:)-{)>

cynthia

Visit site
Got a chart plotter/radar, and we use both! Why? Once experienced full electronic failure mid channel (faulty battery indicator on a charter boat) and the chart back up was invaluable, secondly, had an electronic 'glitch': once again the manual back up saved us from ending up on a sandbank!

I have to admit though, that the charts are well out of date or cover massive areas - the electronics are excellent and oh so easy to use, but we've overcome the temptation to rely on them totally.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
I have changed my habits considerably since trying electronic charts. For last year's cruise in Norway and Scotland I just bought enough paper charts to be safe and with the possibily to get into safe harbours. For Scotland for example all I needed was the Imray charts and of course the great cruising guides. In Norway I had a similar approach.
Then I got full coverage with c-map charts. I tried them the previous summer and found them absolutely great and with a detail that I cannot seriously get on paper. It has allowed me to explore places I would otherwise not have found into.
Now that I found out that I can trade cartriges when I change cruising ground, and this way get the next set at a third of the price, it's also very economic.
I have alarge plotter (12") at the chart table with a large repeater in the cockpit under the dodger on one side of the companion way. It is so well visible that I can see it from the helm and sitting next to it you can see the chart and your surrounding at the same time, really very convenient. I also have a reader for using these charts on the laptop and a small spare dedicated plotter.
The PC software has some niceties, like printing or weather routing but coming from that business I don't think a laptop or Microsoft operating systems are up to the reliability I would demand for safe navigation. Also my wife finds the dedicated plotter easier to use and I tend to agree.
Further the plotter is integrated with the radar: I run the radar with heading up, since that's what I'm used to and the chart with north up, since this is also how I have been brought up, but then it is great to move the cursor on the radar to some object and watch the cursor on the chart point to where it is.

claymore

Visit site
Re: And for the big question

Dolphin Maritime Software on my laptop, linked to the GPS via NMEA cable. Brilliant system, reliable and accurate. Minimum paper charts and folios of ARCS charts on the laptop, system also covers tides.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'd use both. There's a well worn argument , discussed on this forum many times , that your chart plotter can fail. Fair enough but in reality it seldom happens but for piece of mind I'd carry a full complement of charts and back up hand-held GPS. Yes it's more expensive but to me it's sensible and seamanlike.

johndf

Visit site

Yes, that's why I'd be worried about relying on a PC based chart plotter only. So I might go for PC based charts, but print out copies of the essential areas in advance. I'll probably also get one or two conventional paper charts for overall planning.

ccscott49

Visit site
I agree with you Bill, But also like the idea of big scale and print the critical charts at the planning stage. I have both and tend to do just that, because I dont have all the port charts I need, although most are in my pilot books. I like to see a big chart, gives me a better understanding of where I am and going, so dont use electronic for long passages.

G

I use PC based system Tsunamis 99 which I interface with my handheld Garmin GPS
with excellent results. This software is digitalised Admiralty charts with spendid information.
Its good to see the boat in real time on the screen and the charts automatically zoom
in as you approach the chosen harbour. I use a 1500w inverter to maintain power to the PC
and keep a second laptop for spare. The GPS plugs in to the 12v cig lighter so does not rely on
Duracells. On longer passages I also chart the waypoints from the PC
onto paper charts as a standby. C Neighbour P.S. all the world charts are on the CD
so wherever you are, you can phone in quote your doggle number (and VISA number) and
obtain permit codes to release and further charts you need.

cneighbour

G

The first PC I already had cost approx £800. but had hard drive problem, sent back under warranty
in meantime cos I also use it for business, bought another one for £1100 the they mended the first
free hence the spare. The inverter was already fitted to boat, however I also have a small cable
inverter which plugs into 12v cig lighter which only cost about £40.
The software was £105 at last jan boat show (coastal version) including 5 free charts (normally £21 each).
These 5 took me from Dover round to Solent. They will probably be doing the offer again at this Jan show.
Since then I have purchased a folio of 35 plus charts approx £350 which included certain charts
I already had so they gave me a rebate against these.
This folio takes me from Teddington lock round to Exeter including all major harbours and Marinas.
I reckon you could set up for the following total costs: Tsunamis 99 software (coastal) £105
Laptop £800, Garmin handheld £165, further Charts £250 (small folio about 25 charts)
& cable inverter £40 total : £1360. This compares favourably with dedicted Chartplotter/GPS about £2500.
plus installation costs. And you can do all your route planning at home in the comfort.
of your home. Anyone else use this software I wonder ?

cneighbour