Anodes

Drummond

Visit site
I have recently bought a yacht that has a Nanni 3 cyl 21 HP motor. The motor has a heat exchanger. There is no reference to cathodic protection for the motor. Am I correct in thinking as it is fresh water cooled it has no anodes? There is no reference to them in the instruction book.

ccscott49

Visit site
Even on fresh water cooled engines, there is usually a anode somewhere int he salwater side, it might be a plug or something similar in or near the heat exchanger, sorry I dont know this engine, but I'm sure somebody will.

G

Recently I read a discussion regarding this....not necessarily your engine, but another, and the statement that was made
was that as long as there is a zinc (anode) on the propellor shaft....the engine is protected.

Here in the States we can purchase what is known as a "zinc guppy", which looks like a small carp made out of
zinc. It has an alligator clip on the end of the stainless steel connecting wire. We connect it to the engine frame or
the propeller shaft in the lazarette/bilge. If you aren't able to purchase an item such as this...you could always
fashion one by taking a fair sized shaft zinc anode and connecting a wire to it, hanging it overboard and then making
connection with the engine frame or propellor shaft.

Reality is the cause of all stress.