Anodes

G

The only available position for an anode is on the outboard end of my propellor shaft after the prop securing nut. This screws on to the shaft (diameter half inch BSF or approx 12 mill). Am unable to get one anywhere, any ideas please, as no chandlers I have tried so far have been unable to help.

snowleopard

Visit site
In true PBO tradition...

You could always make one yourself! I recently made myself a handing anode after seeing chandlery prices. Wander around any boatyard at this time of year and you'll find countless old anodes. Melt them down and pure zinc will flow out, leaving the old oxide behind. I used a gas blowtorch and moulded the molten metal in an old baked bean tin which I subsequently peeled off. You can easily drill fixing holes with an electric drill.

RayJones

Visit site
Re: In true PBO tradition...

You could try this, it is standard on my Cavalier 32.
Bolt a teardrop annode to the hull, run an earthing cable inside the hull from annode mounting bolt to a brush running on the prop shaft.
regards ray jones.

G

For your screw on anodes try One Stop Chandlery at Hatfield Peveral, I saw some there last weekend Tel.01245 380680
good luck
Ray

G

Jay, I have heard of some people using slip rings on the shaft
that are wired to an anode . Good luck , David.

G

Re: Anodes - daft question

I was given to understand (by a corrosion engineer no less) that:

o- With enough sacrificial material down below there was no need to actually "wire up" the anodes to the metal it is protecting as the seawater itself does a decent enough job of providing an electrical connection.

o - To work the sacrifical anodes must be close (i.e. within half a metre) of the metal to be protected.

On this basis I slapped on four x four kilogram anodes two near the bronze water cooler for the engine and two either side of the skeg for the shaft, prop and rudder.

I can see the anodes on the skeg and they seem to be "dissolving" fairly rapidly (i.e. they are showing definite signs of severe pitting after six months) so I assume they are protecting something and hope that it is the surrounding metal.

Is there anything wrong with this theory?

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D