Anodes and the life of

G

Why pray tell me are my anodes wearing away at an alarming rate ?

The boat is a 2000 model with mercruiser bravo 3 leg and is kept in Poole harbour,the anodes were replaced last time the boat was out in April.

Two months into the season and Ive just had to replace them again, I was told its because Ive got twin stainless props ?

Make any sense to you ? I may as well keep the boat in vinegar !

tripleace

Visit site
We also have stainless steel props. anodes used to disolve quickly. after 3 years and £**** we fitted the electric anodes. problem gone.

G

2 months!!!! I would suggest that there is another problem at work here? A problem with earth bonding or leaking current but I may be wrong? I am on the Itchen and I replace mine about every 2 years! Talk to other boatowners in your marina and maybe talk to MG Duff the Anode people about the effect of stainless props?

duncan

Visit site
I too have a Bravo III in Poole - launched in April the anodes look shot now (thats 50% gone not just funny looking!) - assumed it was tied into the constantly changing salinity as I am a fair way up the channel.
If others thik there is another force at work here I would welcome clues ( I have checked the auto bilge pump, don't have shore power and isolate both +ve and -ve terminals when leaving the boat)

G

The time to get realy worried is when the anodes stay in pristine condition and the rest of the metalwork disappears!!

You might also like to try Jotun (enquiries@jotun.co.uk) for advice. I bought my anodes off them and "pond for pound" found the price a lot better than other manufacturers.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Ive been told to use the genuine anodes to comply with any warranty problems so I assume they are correct for use in salt water.

They were purchased from the dealers in Poole who serviced the boat so they would know....wouldnt they ?

G

I don't know if you are still looking for answers but I remembered your post when I was looking at the following site - http://www.yachtsurvey.com/ElectricalSystems.htm

I also consulted my Boat Electrcal Bible and it says for rapid anode corrosion check the following:- Hull electrical leakages, increased salinity, increased water temp, degraded bonding systems, copper based antifoul, moored near aluminium or steel vessel, marina electrical problems, no isolation transformer on board or moored over metallic debris on seabed!