anode change

scorch

Visit site
Taking boat, Osbourne 26, to Brundell on the 28th and most of the cruising will be in fresh/brackish water with the occasional jolly in the salt. Fitted with Enfield outdrives and the only anode I can get for them is Magnesium. Does anyone know if this will present a problem and if so any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Scorch.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gonfishing

Visit site
asked similar QQQQQQQQ this morning and agree with answers given, your anodes will corrode/errode extremely fast, due to the increased electrolytic activity between dissimilar metals in a saltwater enviroment!!!!!! (wow!! good for this time of night), i for one am going to replace all anodes for zinc before she goes into the sea, this option may not be available to you because of the enviromental regulations for the waterways, best option is to ask the forum if there is any other way or at least an acceptable compromise

julian

<hr width=100% size=1>oooh, i'll be fishing soon.

Forbsie

Visit site
Contact <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sillette.co.uk/>Sillette Sonic</A>. I think they do spares for Enfield.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

BrendanS

Visit site
I battled around this subject for months when I was Thames based, and doing the odd sea based trail.

If you're mainly fresh/brackish water based, you won't have a problem with Magnesium anodes.

If you're only doing a few days at a time out in salt water, then back into fresh/brackish water don't worry about it.

If you spend more than 20 days in pure salt water, you need to think about replacing them.

If you can get at the anodes, give them a brush with a something that is non metallic. Nylon pot scubbers are good. That will delay any problems by weeks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Magnesium correct for free water, if you use zinc then the get covered in a layer of whatever from the river, as they dont corrode, thus they become useless and dont do their job. (M.G. Duff's told me that)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

oldgit

Visit site
If you cannot get ready made anode,get them made up.Just need old anode copied to get holes in proper place etc.Should be someone local.Most areas will have a man who makes anodes to supply fisherman/workboats at the prices they are prepared to pay... not silly chandlery similar product in fancy box price.

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

Other threads that may be of interest