Ann Davison

Parsonsheath

Visit site
Ann who?

Just what I thought when I read "My Ship is so small"about this woman's voyage just after the war to the states in her 23 foot yawl, and though I found the book a reasonable read it was not one I could not put down!

All that changed when I found and finished "Last Voyage" which was the first of her sailing books, and set the scene for what she did later. This was a brutally honest story of a life with ups and downs, dreams and failures, set in the immediate post war period that I thought Neville Shute had made his own.

The lines that summed it up for me were "To have faith in ones beliefs, to follow an aim to the end is a fundamental necessity. Otherwise the whole pattern of life is pure chance, a miasma and a mockery, and nothing is worth the doing or trying. As lief be a blade of grass, and live out one's unknown purpose unreasoned."

Now I have read this book I can appreciate just how wrong my take was, and what a will that woman had.

As the say on ebay, "Recommended" not half!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I second that. This little lady's first experience of the sea was a sinking that drowned her husband. She then decided to face her demons by being the first woman to sail across the Atlantic in a small boat alone! And that in the 1950's when "a woman's place was firmly in the kitchen - or the nursery"