Ankarolina - has anyone come across it?

summerwind

Visit site
There was a thread about this some time ago in the Liveaboard forum I think when Med mooring was being discussed.

From memory, it seemed that peeps who use it love it. I have been intending to get some for a while but it is down my wish list for a while to come yet.

G

Loads and loads of boats in the Baltic have it. What the ins and outs are I don't know.

Norman_E

Visit site
I have seen things like this in the Med. I think the idea is that you drop your anchor in a bay, back the boat towards the shore till the anchor sets. Then you unreel the webbing tape and take the end ashore to tie round a suitable rock or tree. Saves having to take a heavy long warp ashore. As the thing is only held on to the pushpit I assume you must fully unroll it and attach the inner end to something secure, which rather upsets the convenience factor. (unless someone khows better) It is not on my "must have" gadget list.

G

Guess you'd just pull out an extra couple of feet and tie it to a cleat?

Vara

Visit site
No mystery its just a handy way of storing a kedge line,attach to anchor and use as you would a normal line making off on cleat or other strong point.AFAIK the spool is not load bearing and is for neat and easy storage,used one a couple of times in scandiwegia and it definitely beats coiling and stowing a wet rope.
Would have some reservations about UV degradation long term.

chrisc

Visit site
Rear anchor system much favoured by the scandinavians (anchoring from rear in harbours and to island/rocks) There was a report on this last year (i think) in Sweden ,conclusion was that UV degradation was a major problem and the lin should be changed every few years (presumably unless it is covered).Have had repots of lines breaking on fairly new set ups.

steve_l

Visit site
I have one of these mounted on the pushpit. Mine is 56m of 25mm webbing, with 5m chain then a danforth type anchor, or grapnel depending on the bottom. Used when mooring bows-on, the usual method here.

It makes single-handed mooring a real doddle, just drop the anchor at a suitable point from the shore and let it feed itself out from the reel. There's just enough friction in the system so that it doesn't "over-feed" (like that unravelled toilet roll feeling!). Then snub the line (it actually is quite comfortable to hold) and go forward to hitch the already prepared bowlines to a couple of convenient strong points (cleats on a jetty, trees, rocks, whatever...), then back on board to fine-adjust the stern line.

Never failed yet (famous last words, read the subsequent disaster story next season /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)... )

-steve-

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Hi! After some time i began useing my anchorline anchoring from the stearn,it works really well, tie the reel on to a cleat, let the anchor go then go forward to take a line ashore this is normaly the womans job!
Still when the bows are near the shore you step down onto a rock, take a step forward to the next rock slip off and land up to your waist in ice cold water! Then walk on with the line slip and sit down head under, then your almost moored

This is the way all Sweeds moore!

jenku

Visit site
Surely you did not have one of those on your folkboat? Also did you eventually really abandon the anchoring the wrong way tactics I saw you conduct last midsummer? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In fact, I do not like the ankarolina myself. One of the main disadvantages is that it does not stretch at all so it is more prone to jerking the anchor out in a blow (and please, Stephen do not mention this anchor dragging business of mine that same week-end, it was all really only an excuse to get the girl from the other side without having to row the leaking dinghy....). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

trouville

N/A
Visit site
i dident use it very often but in fine weather it worked well,When leaving i backed up to the anchor then walked to the bow to get it on board.i have 50m line! Hear i have 2 20m anchorlina i bought in Corsica, 20euros each!

In fact mostly i dropped my fishamens anchor from the bow with ordinary 14mm line and 6meters 10mm chain, if i wanted to tie to a tree i walked the anchor line to the stern and then rowed a line ashore!! Im alergic to cold water!!
What i need is water proof Swedish woman on board!In the meen time ill "suffer" the French woman!

They really do look after "their man" refuse to let me pay when we eat out,and let me do the cooking during the week!(my cookings quite ok!)But the wine is a problem the bottle must stay untouched (although open) that way never a cross word!

So there must be snow and no light in the Baltic! two Swedish and one Finn posting hear today!!!!

Ill email you.

jenku

Visit site
The snow has melted again. I am sure there will be rain soon that freezes over during the night to make the drive to work more interesting in the morning...

I have seen a lot of people using ankarolina in a very
odd way. When weighing anchor they haul the line in as
I would a normal anchor warp, then let it all go on
the cockpit floor. When everything is done they roll
the line onto the wheel. Why? This makes the job
double does it not? When I weigh I haul the warp in
and it goes directly into a locker and curls there.
Then I close the hatch. No hazzle at all and much
cheaper. Also the line is away from the sun.