Andersen self bailers

Neil

Visit site
I have a couple of these in the bilge sump near the stern, which has a hand-operated bilge pump. The idea is that above a certain speed, the sump will self drain and below this speed, one can pump out the bilge sump. However, there is no point, it seems. When latched closed they still leak water back into the sump. Any tips for getting a seal?

I should point out that the boat and therefore the bailers are new, so it shouldn't be a case of a gasket degrading

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
I have a couple of these in the bilge sump near the stern, which has a hand-operated bilge pump. The idea is that above a certain speed, the sump will self drain and below this speed, one can pump out the bilge sump. However, there is no point, it seems. When latched closed they still leak water back into the sump. Any tips for getting a seal?

I should point out that the boat and therefore the bailers are new, so it shouldn't be a case of a gasket degrading
My only experience of Anderson bailers was on sailing dinghies. They often leaked a little but on a fast open dinghy that was not a problem. However I do recall they were very susceptible to grit affecting the seal.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
The seals have perished. There is a repair kit, it is relatively straight forward job. The only tricky bit is the forward end of the seal is marginally smaller than the aft. Plus it needs to be the right way up, other wise it doesn't hinge properly. There are no instructions with the kit!

I did this job on my Flying Fifteen a couple of months ago.

Neil

Visit site
The seals have perished. There is a repair kit, it is relatively straight forward job. The only tricky bit is the forward end of the seal is marginally smaller than the aft. Plus it needs to be the right way up, other wise it doesn't hinge properly. There are no instructions with the kit!

I did this job on my Flying Fifteen a couple of months ago.
As I mentioned, the self bailers are new

michael_w

Visit site
How new? The ones on my Flying Fifteen perished after 2 years of non use. Covid and a knackered hip stopped my sailing.

Neil

Visit site
How new? The ones on my Flying Fifteen perished after 2 years of non use. Covid and a knackered hip stopped my sailing.
New boat 2022, on the water three times so far! (late season arrival)

I hosed out the sump - there was a certain amount of crud in there that might have had a bearing on matters. I closed the bailers and filled the sump (boat on trailer). I saw nothing leak out the bottom. Let's see if the converse is true :)

michael_w

Visit site
They ought to be good. Remember they only work if you are going fairly quickly, say 6 kts plus. The bigger they are the more boatspeed is needed.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest