Anchors Again.

Coaster

Visit site
We lower our anchor and chain for two reasons. First, it's easier to detach the anchor and stow it away to reduce the likelihood of theft. Second, I expect the rain to wash the salt off, which I have assumed is beneficial.

For some lightweight boats it may also be helpful to reduce uneccesary loading on the hull when support has been reduced by coming out of the water.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We lower our anchor and chain for two reasons. First, it's easier to detach the anchor and stow it away to reduce the likelihood of theft. Second, I expect the rain to wash the salt off, which I have assumed is beneficial.

For some lightweight boats it may also be helpful to reduce uneccesary loading on the hull when support has been reduced by coming out of the water.

Would have thought it was far easier to steal, just sat in a heap on the ground.

Bet folk do it just because they saw some one else do it and it's become a bit of a fad.

MapisM

Visit site
Bet folk do it just because they saw some one else do it
Maybe, but there's nothing wrong with that. We all learned to speak by emulation, didn't we? :)
Most of the very little I know about boats, I've learnt it by looking/hearing/reading what others did, and then try to understand if it could make sense.

Back to the point, my take is that:
1) rinsing and cleaning the anchor locker at least yearly is not a bad idea;
2) a proper look at the chain along its whole length doesn't hurt, either;
3) only when empty, the locker dries out properly - and so does the chain;
4) if nothing else, it means 600kg or so (in my case) of lower load on mooring chocks, for the whole winter.

blueglass

Visit site
we also follow the mapism ritual and agree it is good practice to check all the chain, wash off salt and mud, clean out chain locker and leave to dry. In fairness it would make sense, once the chain locker is dry, to put it all back again but you've gone home for the winter then!

Coaster

Visit site
Well nothing so far convinces me that leaving the anchor and chain on the ground for month after month, is a good idea.

Having re-read the original post I agree with it. Not sensible for the chain to be directly on the ground.

However I do think it's a good idea to flake the chain onto a pallet and to remove the anchor to a place of safekeeping (unless it's a CQR, in which case the only threat would be if someone needed a large doorstop ;)).

MapisM

Visit site
Well nothing so far convinces me that leaving the anchor and chain on the ground for month after month, is a good idea.
I think it must be some sort of ritual.
Well, I didn't pretend to convince anyone, just threw in my 2 cents, since you asked.
Besides, it's the whole pleasure boating thing which is a sort of ritual after all, innit? :)

oceandrive

www.oceandrivecharter.com
OK so here is the answer to your question. As Mapis M says not a bad Idea to drop the hook and chain on to the ground inspection and weight of the hull whilst propped up on shore but the most likly reason is for the reason I drop mu chain out.

The anchor chain is marked out in five metre intervals commencing from the first measurment waterline to anchor winch. I mark thiswith three bands of paint Black Yellow Black then the next five metres marked Red next yellow next blue next white next Green then repeat the same colours with a black leader band.

Now when you drop your anchor you can easily see exactly how much chain has been used as you see the colours departing the anchor winch as they leave the locker or by looking overboard.

This is usualy remembered by the following easy reminder.

"Rub your Balls with Grease"

Red 5 M "RUB"
Yellow

oceandrive

www.oceandrivecharter.com
Sorry posted last uncompleate Cont:

Rub Your Balls With Grease

RUB Red= 5m
YOUR Yellow=10m
BALLS Blue=15m
WITH White=20m
GREASE Green=25m repeated with black leader.

The next 25 m can be the same colours but with a black leader band.

Its easy now to say to your deck hand we are in 5 metres of water and so drop out 3x depth 15m so that will be Balls Blue. 30 m would be black red.

Its also easy to peer over the bow and see which colour is nearest the water line say its Blue but your dragging slightly so you can drop another 10m out to Grease Green 25m

So I would bank on it that when you seeboats in the yard with the chain snaked infront of the boat you will probably find that the chain is snaked out in 5m turns so that sombody gets the job of painting rub your balls with grease on the anchor chain.

Alternatives to paint are the little coloured inserts which you can buy from chandlers for this purpose or as I have done in the past good tie straps at 5m intervals which flick up as the chain flows out from the winch. the only down fall with this is that the tie straps eventualy fall off.

I trained over 500 students in Menorca and many have adopted this principal of chain marking. Not only is it a great way to ensure that the correct amount of chain is dropped it easy for all on board to remember. Works well in tidal areas as its easy to maintain the same swing area between high and low waters. and knowing exactly how much chain is out at any time. Much cheeper than a chain counter which needs callibrating all the time.