Anchoring overnight on Windermere

Lakesailor

Visit site
When I was talking about anchoring with one of the Wardens he said we shouldn't
As far as I can see that opinion is completely without any substance. Nothing in the regulations about it.
They are very good at pointing at people, waving their hands and shaking their heads.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Unfortunately they have a catch-all in the byelaws

Directions Of Lake Wardens, Police Etc.,
The master of every vessel shall obey and conform to the directions of any
authorised officer of the South Lakeland District Council, the Lake District
Special Planning Board or any Police Constable relating to the navigation,
mooring or unmooring of such vessel.

WilliamUK

Visit site
Directions Of Lake Wardens, Police Etc.,
The master of every vessel shall obey and conform to the directions of any
authorised officer of the South Lakeland District Council, the Lake District
Special Planning Board or any Police Constable relating to the navigation,
mooring or unmooring of such vessel.
Does anchoring come under any of the above? I'd be inclined to argue not.

kid's inheritance

Visit site
I slept in my little old fishing boat on Windermere loads of times. I usually used a bay up at the north west end, whose name I have forgotten, because it was shallow and full of weed. The weed held the boat still as much as the anchor did! It was always very quiet and generally went flat calm as soon as it went dark.

That is the bird sanctuary , restricted access from , IIRC, March to the end of August
Rob

WilliamUK

Visit site
As I said in post#4 there is specific mention of anchoring in the navigation lights section.
Have a read. See if you can spot something that proscribes overnight anchoring.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/169900/windermere_lake_byelaws_2011.pdf

I'm not a lawyer, or an expert, and have done nothing more in depth than searching for the word "anchor" in the byelaws.
It comes up three times:

3.1 A vessel is under way within the meaning of these Byelaws when she is not at anchor, made fast to the shore, aground or attached to a mooring. (Doesn't apply, but confirms that an anchored vessel is not underway.)

4.12 A vessel at anchor in or near a fairway, shall carry forward where it can best be seen, a white light visible all round the horizon at a distance of at least 1 mile. This byelaw shall not apply to vessels and boats when at their permanent recognised moorings, if those moorings are out of the fairway. (Doesn't apply to boats not in or near a fairway - though I have no idea what a fairway is - and if you are in or near a fairway you just need the light.)

5.6 A vessel at anchor or aground in a fairway, a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing and a vessel engaged in towing, shall, instead of the signals prescribed in Byelaws 5.4 and 5.5, sound at intervals of not more than two minutes, three blasts in succession, namely one prolonged, followed by two short blasts.

None of the above say a vessel at anchor is under navigation.
Also, section 4 isn't "navigation lights", it's "lights".

Me? I'd argue that it's not in there, but not unless a warden was ruining my fun on a regular basis and I figured it was worth the risk of causing it to be written into the byelaws and decided to fight it.

CreakyDecks

Visit site
That is the bird sanctuary , restricted access from , IIRC, March to the end of August
Rob

Wouldn't surprise me. As soon as you enter the Lake District National Park you can guarantee you are breaking some rule or other. That's why I used to prefer to tow the boat the extra 150 miles to Loch Lomond!

catlotion

Visit site
That's my experience too. Some of them are fairly relaxed but some can be unhelpful and obstructive if they want to be.

yeah, that's our experience too. It depends on who you get. Had some good experiences last year where they have been very helpful. They probably do get hassle from quite a few muppets so on balance I'd let them off for being grumpy now and again... :)

Lakesailor

Visit site
The Wardens have become noticeably more helpful since the Lake Rangers have taken over some of the more intense (speeding) areas of the policing.
The Wardens are employed by the South Lakeland District Council and concern themselves mainly with mooring and launching/recovery issues. The Lake Rangers are employed by the Lake Distict National Park Authority and are more concerned with the Byelaws.

Thw Wardens are usually in the big grey rib.

The Rangers have the white 23' Shetland and the strange rib with a wheelhouse, plus at other times a borrowed fast fisher from Ullswater.

Ranger.jpg

RangerRib1.jpg

Last edited:

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
A good sheltered anchorage is round the back of Belle Isle, to the south of the western most of the 'Lilies of the Valley'. Make sure you know the safe channels in and out though! I'm also fairy sure that there are some cheap visitor mooring buoys round there- wardens at Ferry Nab will give you the details. There are cables and a number of wrecks around Belle Island to get fouled up on. (cables to the eastern side, level with the Roundhouse and pipes to the west, but close in to the shore) and 2-3 wrecks around the back, close to the mooring buoys.)

When we asked some of the old boatyard hands about overnight anchoring, they strongly discouraged it, saying that winds have a habit of getting up suddenly and blowing from completely new directions. Have to say it doesn't happen very often but we have seen it a couple of times. Friends of ours got caught one night near Storrs and were very glad to get back in one piece to the marina in the morning. (went from flat calm to an un-forecast gusting of 35-40 mph in less than an hour)