Anchoring in Grande Rade at Cherbourg

Poignard

Visit site
At the western end of the Grande Rade, Cherbourg, near Querqueville is what likes like a good anchorage to await a fair tide or just for a quiet rest, if the wind is anywhere except between NE and SE.

I have never seen any yacht anchored there but it looks clear of hazards on the largest scale chart I have, and it is clear of the military zone.

I wonder why it isn't used.

Poignard

Visit site
Most people prefer to go into Chantereyne, and get involved in wine and seafood, I suspect.

As do we! But what we often do, after a daytime crossing, is to anchor just outside Chantereyne and spend the night there before going into the marina next morning, by which time many people are leaving.

This gives plenty of empty berths to choose from, and saves a night's berthing fee.

However, the anchorage outside Chantereyne is a bit cramped because the military zone encroaches on it, and more boats are using it in these straightened times; I thought an alternative might be worth investigating. Anyway, if your Twister can anchor there without trouble - so can mine. I'll have a look in there next visit.

eddie2000

Visit site
At the western end of the Grande Rade, Cherbourg, near Querqueville is what likes like a good anchorage to await a fair tide or just for a quiet rest, if the wind is anywhere except between NE and SE.

I have never seen any yacht anchored there but it looks clear of hazards on the largest scale chart I have, and it is clear of the military zone.

I wonder why it isn't used.

I've anchored there in the past. There are quite a few moorings, mostly the neglected sort. I suspect there is probably a lot of junk on the bottom so watch out for fouled anchor.
Outside the marina usually has enough space and you can take your dinghy ashore in the marina visitors area.

Poignard

Visit site
I've anchored there in the past. There are quite a few moorings, mostly the neglected sort. I suspect there is probably a lot of junk on the bottom so watch out for fouled anchor.
Outside the marina usually has enough space and you can take your dinghy ashore in the marina visitors area.

Maybe remains of STUKAs etc!

As I said, in the past I have usually anchored just outside the marina but, as well as the restricted space, I also had a problem with some very dense fine weed there. It was like green steel wool and took a lot of clearing from the anchor and chain.

As for dinghying ashore. I did also say in my first post that I usually enter the marina next morning, so no need to use a dinghy at all.

The whole point of this is that when I arrive in the evening, tired, I prefer to anchor, eat and rest rather than trudge up and down the marina trots hoping to find an empty berth when I know there will be plenty next morning as people head off to St Vaast or the Channel Islands.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I suspect it might be quieter than just outside the marina, which must get swell from the fishing boats coming and going and there must be some swell from the ferries.