Anchor wash

glynnffc

Visit site
As another season rattles to an end and the boat sits in the car park I have ,reluctantly, promised to try and rig up an anchor wash system,beyond the canvas bucket, for next years trips to all those lovely places with muddy bottoms.
But how do I get the connector through the deck,or more importantly what connector. I bought a lovely perko connector with a threaded outlet ready for the hose,but the tail on the other end is ridiculously short and will not even reach through my teak/ply deck, let alone allow me to fit a pipe and jubillee clip onto it.

Any sensible suggestions?
Glynn

sarabande

Visit site
why not have a Jabsco (other makers are available) deck wash pump plumbed in off an engine pipe, and a long hose.

It would also be useful for fire-fighting and repelling boarders.

glynnffc

Visit site
That's what I intend but I can't find a decent fitting for getting through the deck. I'll have another look through the jabsco stuff maybe I just missed that bit.

prv

Visit site
Is the short bit on the back a screw thread or a hose tail? The Perko fittings I can find on Google have a thread, which should be easy to extend with a running nipple or whatever.

If it's a hose tail, then how about boring a slightly wider hole in the deck so that there's room for the hose. Either a hole right through the full thickness, or just a recess in the lower part. If you still need something narrower than a jubilee clip then an ear clip should help, or perhaps even try a couple of beefy cable ties if the hose is soft and the pressure not too high.

Pete

glynnffc

Visit site
Pete,
You're right it is threaded ,so a running nipple or screw in hose tail should do the trick.
I should have looked closer,but as I said above airing concerns very often prompts the solution.
Thanks.
Glynn

PlankWalker

Visit site
Why bother with deck fittings.
I've rigged up a jabsco pump T'd off the engine intake with a short length of hose through a bulkhead to a cockpit locker,
I then have a coil of hose with a threaded connector just long enough to reach the bow, and therefore can reach everywhere else.
The hose in the cockpit locker has a threaded cap on it, just in case someone does something silly.

Plank

prv

Visit site
Why bother with deck fittings.
I've rigged up a jabsco pump T'd off the engine intake with a short length of hose through a bulkhead to a cockpit locker,
I then have a coil of hose with a threaded connector just long enough to reach the bow

If it's just to rinse mud off the anchor, then it's a lot easier to just plug in a couple of feet of hose, rinse, and be done. Rather than laying out a boat's-length of it and then coiling away again.

Personally I deal with this problem by leaving the anchor on the bow roller where it can be as muddy as it likes :)

Pete

glynnffc

Visit site
Both ideas have merit,but it's not the anchor that's the problem it's the chain that slarts mud all over the chain locker,which is next to the front berth, and even with a chute some manages to get where it shouldn't. The anchor has been know to carry a kelp burgee for the first few sea miles, and that disappears in time.
I like the idea of no more through deck fittings,but worry that teeing off the engine intake would reduce the water to the engine, and as already mentioned I would have 12 meters of hose to coil, uncoil and a cockpit locker open .

prv

Visit site
worry that teeing off the engine intake would reduce the water to the engine

I doubt it's a problem in practice, especially if you're usually running at idle while hosing off the chain on its way in. But if it's a worry, how about teeing off the heads inlet instead?

Pete

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have 4 fittings like the Jabsco one through my deck 2 at the bow and 2 midships. These are simply a 3/4 " BSP stainless socket welded to a 1 " i/d washer bolted to the deck. inside I have a fixed hose connection an the outside an elbow ball valve and a Gardena type hose click fitting.

http://www.gardena.com/za/water-management/hose-connectors/threaded-hose-connector-26,5-mm-g-3-4/

I have also got brass fittings similar to the above.

Much cheaper and stronger than the plastic Jabsco quick connect fitting as posted.

charles_reed

Visit site
If it's just to rinse mud off the anchor, then it's a lot easier to just plug in a couple of feet of hose, rinse, and be done. Rather than laying out a boat's-length of it and then coiling away again.

Personally I deal with this problem by leaving the anchor on the bow roller where it can be as muddy as it likes :)

Pete

I find gently motoring through the anchorage gets ris of the mud on the anchor - but what about that on the chain?
It gets everything filthy, smells horrid and when you do try and wash it in the chain-locker, blocks the drain holes.

prv

Visit site
I find gently motoring through the anchorage gets ris of the mud on the anchor - but what about that on the chain?
It gets everything filthy, smells horrid and when you do try and wash it in the chain-locker, blocks the drain holes.

Our anchor locker is structurally separate from the cabin, so if it gets a bit grubby in there I don't really care. In practice I don't find it a problem, perhaps just down to different cruising areas.

(I've done my time cleaning anchors and chain on Kindred Spirit, where the chain had to be fed down a narrow navel pipe by hand, and the anchor lashed down on deck. Many buckets of seawater needed for that job!)

Pete

rudolph_hart

Visit site
I doubt it's a problem in practice, especially if you're usually running at idle while hosing off the chain on its way in. But if it's a worry, how about teeing off the heads inlet instead?

Pete

That's exactly what I did, using a diverter valve (made of Marelon) from the toilet intake. This is followed by a Jabsco screw-top filter, then a ParMax 4 pressure-switched pump, then a Jabsco -'twist-lock' deck fitting on the outside of the cockpit coaming. Everything beyond that is standard Hozelock-type stuff - male connecter, curly hose, spray gun (plastic not metal).

Works fine for chain washing, deck cleaning, grandchild discipline etc. 7 years and counting.