Anchor equipment for Caribbean/Pacific cruising

noelex

Visit site
I think the best general purpose anchors are the Mantus, Rocna, Spade and Manson Supreme. So I would choose from one of these models.

Size wise I think the best advice is go for the largest anchor you can reasonably manage.

For chain, around 100m is the gold standard for a long distance cruising and this sort of length is appreciated in the south Pacific, but chain is very heavy so you really need to look if your boat can carry the weight and also if you have the room for this to stack correctly. Galvanised chain is the norm. Going to G7 enables the size to be decreased by one step, which helps enormously with the weight, but the chain seems to rust quicker. So 10mm G4 or 8mm G7 is probably the best choice.

Stainless chain is very expensive, but perhaps not unreasonably so, given the short lifespan of galvanised chain in coral waters. However, there are horror tales of failed stainless chain, especially in warmer waters. Duplex stainless chain made by a reputable manufacturer reduces the risk, but I would recommend galvanised as the most sensible option.

Kedge wise, the lightweight Fortress and Guardian anchors are good. They are easy to row out, but in my view they are not a great substitute if your primary anchor is lost. Both the Mantus and the Spade can be broken down, which makes them easier to store as an emergency replacement that can also double as kedge, but they are heavy to row out. Spade make an aluminium version, but in my view it does not have the excellent performance of the steel model.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Also if you expect to anchor in say 40m on 120m of chain, you are going to need an exceptionally powerful windlass to recover it.
Assuming a 5:1 scope, if you anchor in 20m depth you would need all 100m of chain out but the vertical weight below the windlass will still only be 20m and a 1000W windlass will easily pull that it.

Even if you decided to anchor in 40m, which I wouldn't with 120m of chain, the windlass still only pulls in the water weight of 40m plus anchor. I've let out the whole of my 50m of 10mm chain with a 25 kg anchor on the end whilst in 50m deep water and the 1000W pulled that back in without any apparent issues.

Richard

NormanS

Visit site
Assuming a 5:1 scope, if you anchor in 20m depth you would need all 100m of chain out but the vertical weight below the windlass will still only be 20m and a 1000W windlass will easily pull that it.

Even if you decided to anchor in 40m, which I wouldn't with 120m of chain, the windlass still only pulls in the water weight of 40m plus anchor. I've let out the whole of my 50m of 10mm chain with a 25 kg anchor on the end whilst in 50m deep water and the 1000W pulled that back in without any apparent issues.

Richard

Come on, tell us why you let all your 50m of chain out in 50m of water.:D

noelex

Visit site
There are some anchorages that shelve steeply where a long drag can place the boat in deep water. So I think the windlass should (at least ideally) be capable of lifting the total weight (in water) of all your chain plus anchor. The anchor weight is usually only a small fraction of the chain weight so the biggest factor will be the thickness and length of chain. This is one reason why G7 chain is attractive despite its short life (at least for some makes).

A powerful windlass has some other advantages in an emergency situation, such as a greater chance of raising the anchor if it is fouled. I think the reserve capacity also helps ensure a long and trouble free life.

Unfortunately, not many boat builders these days offer the option of upgrading the windlass so we are stuck with what the builder supplies.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Come on, tell us why you let all your 50m of chain out in 50m of water.:D

I have done the same, but mine was 60 metres. Done to remove unexplained twisting of the chain in the locker. It was so badly twisted that we could not lower any more in the anchorage as the twists were blocking the windlass. Still don't understand it but it has never happened again.

NormanS

Visit site
Are the anchor and chain requirements for Caribbean and Pacific cruising any different from ordinary anchoring? Some of us who only "sail between meals" anchor in just as great a variety of conditions, and far more often, than those who sail long distances. As one who anchors every night, in an area which experiences on average far more extreme conditions than would normally be expected in Caribbean or even Pacific waters, I wouldn't expect to have to upgrade my own gear, in the unlikely event of my venturing further.

(By Pacific, I am not including high latitudes).

GHA

Visit site
Are the anchor and chain requirements for Caribbean and Pacific cruising any different from ordinary anchoring? Some of us who only "sail between meals" anchor in just as great a variety of conditions, and far more often, than those who sail long distances. As one who anchors every night, in an area which experiences on average far more extreme conditions than would normally be expected in Caribbean or even Pacific waters, I wouldn't expect to have to upgrade my own gear, in the unlikely event of my venturing further.

(By Pacific, I am not including high latitudes).
Big difference is that more often than not you're completely on your own. No marinas anywhere near, no buoys to pick up so backup is important, might be a long time before there's any chance of replacing anything so having a beefy enough system becomes more important.
Also you need to plan for that one really nasty night , not the "normally be expected". If you don't have enough to handle that then good chance you've lost your boat.

NormanS

Visit site
Big difference is that more often than not you're completely on your own. No marinas anywhere near, no buoys to pick up so backup is important, might be a long time before there's any chance of replacing anything so having a beefy enough system becomes more important.
Also you need to plan for that one really nasty night , not the "normally be expected". If you don't have enough to handle that then good chance you've lost your boat.

I take it that you have never sailed in the Hebrides, particularly out on the West side, but exactly the same would apply to places like the west coast of Ireland.

In one well forecast gale last summer, several boats headed for the pontoons at a popular place in the Hebrides. They fared much worse than us. We chose to anchor nearby, and were fine.

Chalker

Visit site
I used to sail and anchor in southern UK and nearby European Mainland coasts, my 30m chain was always sufficient. When I went to the Carib it was manageable. For the Pacific I had been warnrd of generally deeper anchorages and fitted the 'new' boat appropriately.
I am sure that there are many ither worldwide locations that also need deep water gear.

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
I take it that you have never sailed in the Hebrides, particularly out on the West side, but exactly the same would apply to places like the west coast of Ireland.

In one well forecast gale last summer, several boats headed for the pontoons at a popular place in the Hebrides. They fared much worse than us. We chose to anchor nearby, and were fine.
Never made it that far north, one day maybe, looks lovely despite the midges. But you're missing the point, not to go running for shelter but what happens when it goes wrong. Without looking at any charts I would guess you're never more than a day or 2 sail to some kind of boat port where deliveries can be sent instead of maybe many months. ( I take it you've never sailed in South America.. ;) )
Maybe it's more of a question of how you look at things, you seem happy that your setup would be fine long distance, probably would, but seasoned world long distance cruisers might be more likely to be looking at things from an exact opposite direction - what happens when the windlass breaks, when I loose the primary, when it all goes horribly wrong....

NormanS

Visit site
Never made it that far north, one day maybe, looks lovely despite the midges. But you're missing the point, not to go running for shelter but what happens when it goes wrong. Without looking at any charts I would guess you're never more than a day or 2 sail to some kind of boat port where deliveries can be sent instead of maybe many months. ( I take it you've never sailed in South America.. ;) )
Maybe it's more of a question of how you look at things, you seem happy that your setup would be fine long distance, probably would, but seasoned world long distance cruisers might be more likely to be looking at things from an exact opposite direction - what happens when the windlass breaks, when I loose the primary, when it all goes horribly wrong....

But you have no idea of the gear that I have.

Midges can only fly at 4mph, so if there's any wind at all, they are not a problem aboard, but they, and ticks, can be a real problem ashore. :disgust:

When I sailed in the Straits of Magellan, the Beagle, and the Cockburn Channels etc, I was in a slightly bigger boat than I have now, but I do know what it can be like. (F11 at Cape Horn). But, if you recall, I specifically excluded the high latitudes, for which I acknowledge, different gear and techniques are required.

Jonesey

Visit site
Recent (2014-2015) one way UK-Caribbean-South Pacific-NZ setup:

47ft Mono - mantus supreme, 95m galvanised chain, 2 x 3 strand spliced snubbers, one with chain hook, one with dyneema soft shackle. No issues.

Pacific specific - get some old fishermans floats to keep the chain just off the bottom and held prevent chain wrapping around coral heads - worked very well for us.

Kedge - we had a fortress which a short length of chain and say 50m warp. worked well but the biggest issue was where to cleat it off aft without having to use a lot of chafe protection - worth experimenting and making sure you have a solution in place.

Kelpie

Visit site
Well, I'm certainly French in that way - I can't imagine relaxing in an anchorage without fenders out. I can't do the British thing of staring and tutting as people pack in closer and closer around you whilst doing nothing to protect your boat from a possible nudge. Again, all this in calmish conditions - it's almost easier in rough conditions because people think a bit more and boats don't drift around pointing in opposite directions.

I honestly thought that putting fenders out whilst anchored was just something people said as a joke, until I read this thread!

Sybarite

Visit site
I have no personal experience with any of these anchors, so :

1) Spade - consistently comes out on top in French tests.
=2 Rocna - very good anchor and I believe that its past problems are just that, past. The hoop may handicap it in thick kelp.
=2 Fob Rock - in the comments about the Rocna they say that it has a very good performance and that it is in the same class as the Fob Rock.

AndrewB

Visit site
...Stainless chain is very expensive, but perhaps not unreasonably so, given the short lifespan of galvanised chain in coral waters. ...
Most surprised that galvanised chain is considered to have a short lifespan in coral waters. Ours was still going strong after 30 years (half of which in the tropics), looking very little the worse for wear. Of course, it was regalvanised every seven years or so. Has anyone else had problems with galvanised chain?

Last edited: