Anchor chain snagging down below.

G

My boat has a problem, common to all in the class. When bringing up the anchor, the chain 'pyramids' and later falls over, making a snag which prevents a clean run-out of the chain next time round.

I find it difficult to believe that this is peculiar to my boat, so invite comments and, ideally, solutions.

G

In the bad old days of steam we had to flake down the anchor chain in the lockers. A wet and smelly job believe me.

Another way is to design a locker so that there is a raised "cone" in the centre that stops the chain from piling up on top of itself.

For my own boat I've araldited an old road cone into the centre of a "cow lick" barrel. The chain tends to meander around the cone and it never seems to pile up enough on one side to cause problems before deciding to wander around the other side.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

When I read about the problem I wondered if any one would remember the old trick to cure the chain mountain. Well done Ian, all I can add is the cure works with rope as well as chain. By the way I never thought of a traffic cone [brilliant idea], I made a three sided pyramid, piramyd, piramid, cone shape out of ply.

G

Our chain locker has a slope on the bottom of about 45 degrees. Despite this, if we don't manually knock it down, it will build up about 24 inches and block the hawaser pipe where the chain is entering, causing the loose chain off the gypsy to jam solidly in the mechanism - a real PITA.

So it takes two to raise anchor, of if single handing, you stay below and stack, hoping the boat hasn't drifted into the crowded anchorage.

G

Don't you mean 'spirling 'pipe, colin? The 'hawse' is the one the anchor runs out of.
Sorry to nit-pick !

G

Bunch of Pit Nickers!

I stand corrected although I have not checked the responses for accuracy.

G

What\'s a cowlick barrel?

Traffic cone's a beaut idea but I've obviously got a gap in my education regarding cowlick barrels.

G

Re: Bunch of Pit Nickers!

Actualy it pyk nikers after the short pyks the nikers used to prod pedantic old farts into the Niking pits.

G

Mike you\'re thoroughly confused.

The pyk nikers you are referring to are defined as a group of people who sit out in the open eating ants with jam on them.

G

Re: What\'s a cowlick barrel?

Mate and co-owner is a farmer (he still can't understand why we don't get a subsidy for the boat!!) and his cows have a tub of minerals to lick at as they wander around the field.

Obviously and "barrel" that fits the space available will do.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

PS We waited until the barrel was empty of course!!