Anchor breakfast ideas

Sjk1000

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for breakfast ideas for when we're at anchor. We relentlessly eat porridge at the moment and this becomes more of a challenge as we get into summer since we don't use the fridge and the fresh milk only lasts a day or two. The reward : effort ratio is also against us when we have to move to the long-life and dried milk.

Some ideas we've had include oats and yoghurt mixed with a bit of honey/jam/syrup, eggs on toast/bread, pancakes. I've tried breakfastifying couscous (nature's pot noodle - just add boiling water in a thermos) but it doesn't quite work.

Any ideas for a bit of low-gas / non-fridge-reliant / easily-made / leave-to-stand-overnight-maybe breakfast variety?

Edit: I've just seen a post recommending warm shore-bought croissant stuffed with a bite-sized mars bar - that would completely work for me, but nipping to shore for the croissant is kinda cheating

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Porridge made with water and sweetened with honey but if you must have milk, long-life milk lasts weeks unopened and two or three days after opening.

doug748

Visit site
As you know, eggs last months and butter weeks, as long as you keep them cool. Soda bread is fine with powdered milk but it does take a fair amount of gas.
I prefer muesli with orange juice instead of milk. My favorites breakfast is fresh tomatoes fried in olive oil, on toast.

guernseyman

Visit site
I always have a few tins of kippers.
For a dawn start, kippers, par-baked baguette, and mug of tea keep you alive till lunch.
Alternatively, kippers, rice, and peas make a basic kedgeree which can be enhanced with other things, if available, like hard-boiled egg, turmeric, coriander.

Hadenough

Visit site
The answer is in your first paragraph you clearly love dairy products! Loose the hair shirt and make the fridge usable. Mine runs on solar in the UK, May to September.
Or, before I had a fridge a good cool box filled with pre frozen stuff, including milk, would last for three / four days.
Just think, cool milk, yoghurt, even bacon, sausage, black pudding :encouragement:

Sjk1000

Visit site
I always have a few tins of kippers.
For a dawn start, kippers, par-baked baguette, and mug of tea keep you alive till lunch.
Alternatively, kippers, rice, and peas make a basic kedgeree which can be enhanced with other things, if available, like hard-boiled egg, turmeric, coriander.

Kedgeree's a great idea

Sjk1000

Visit site
The answer is in your first paragraph you clearly love dairy products! Loose the hair shirt and make the fridge usable. Mine runs on solar in the UK, May to September.
Or, before I had a fridge a good cool box filled with pre frozen stuff, including milk, would last for three / four days.
Just think, cool milk, yoghurt, even bacon, sausage, black pudding :encouragement:

:D ...sausage, and black pudding and bacon... sorry, got distracted. I'd worry too much about the batteries if we used the fridge, plus it's not particularly quiet. What wattage is your fridge btw? Just looked at a few running somewhere between 2.5 and 7Ah

Sjk1000

Visit site
As you know, eggs last months and butter weeks, as long as you keep them cool. Soda bread is fine with powdered milk but it does take a fair amount of gas.
I prefer muesli with orange juice instead of milk. My favorites breakfast is fresh tomatoes fried in olive oil, on toast.

Like the fried tomatoes on toast suggestion. Not sure about the muesli and orange juice but I'll definitely try it! :ambivalence:

Sjk1000

Visit site
Do you bake bread? Few easy no frills recipies avaliable

Thanks for the reply. I have done in the past but my experience has been that it uses a lot of gas, and then it takes the same amount of time if not less to eat it warm with butter :shame:

How long do you bake yours for?

Edit: I'll be trying pressure cooker bread as described here and here. 20mins of gas but on low once up to pressure.

Last edited:

phanakapan

Visit site
I've done 38 days at sea with no fridge- here's a few ideas.....
M & S do a pancake/batter mix which only needs water adding. Or there are 'shake and pour' pancake mixes in plastic bottles but they tend to have sugar added.
Make a quick scone mix, (water or powdered milk is fine) roll/ flatten thin, cook in a heavy frying pan; add a fried egg.
If you have left overs from supper- bubble and squeak with chorizo is to die for- and quick.
Ryvita, butter, marmalade.
Muesli / breakfast bars- ready made or make your own.
Par- baked rolls.

RupertW

Visit site
A fridge is a game changer - even had a 12v coolbox in a 24 footer in UK in early 90s.

Breakfast wise - I love a mix a of freshly cut fruit, changing each day as each one ripens or what is available in local markets. My wife (thanks to some sort of ancestral memory) likes ham and cake.

Billyo

Visit site
Pressure cooker bread is probably the most economical, but I'm going to try a dutch oven as well to see how that turns out. Hadn't though of the par baked baguettes, simple and quick.

There are all sorts of bars you can make as well, you can make alot in a single oven bake and they last for ages.

On the other hand, you can never have too much cake!

cmedsailor

Visit site
Oh boy, I love this thread!!! Oat with bananas, apples and strawberries (whatever you have available) and mixed with fresh orange juice rather than milk. This is what I eat almost every day at home but very easy on a boat too.

richardh10

Visit site
You can buy tubes of pain au chocalat dough which just need 5 minutes in the oven. Trouble is you have to cook the lot once the tube is open, and you then have to eat the lot once they are cooked!

Robin

Visit site
WE used to buy foil packs of potatoes mixed with bacon and egg, no fridge neeed, got them in Waitrose Poole back then, heat for a few minutes in a frying pan and serve, we used to add a fried egg on top. They had several varieties of these to choose from. IIRC they were good for nearly a year without refrigeration. WE kept them for 'going along' easy brekkies.

Gwylan

Visit site
WE used to buy foil packs of potatoes mixed with bacon and egg, no fridge neeed, got them in Waitrose Poole back then, heat for a few minutes in a frying pan and serve, we used to add a fried egg on top. They had several varieties of these to choose from. IIRC they were good for nearly a year without refrigeration. WE kept them for 'going along' easy brekkies.

For the parsimonious amongst us, these also appear from time to time in 'the German shops' Fraction of the price!
Excellent idea - we have used them as the late arrival supper. But with an egg for breakfast, sounds like it will be added to the menu.