An MD 2 toolkit, 36 years on...

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Seeing reference to the MD2 on this board I thought I would list what I found when I emptied out and restowed my engine toolbox, used for abusing and persuading MD2 no 3415, last weekend...

One sump pump. Brass, quite nice, probably came from Thomas Foulkes in the early 70's
Three impellers (one new, two slightly used)
One cylinder head gasket
Sundry other gaskets, compression washers, "O" rings, etc, all in a heap.
Sheet of thin rubber with gasket-shaped holes in it.
Sheet of brown paper, ditto.
Set of metric sockets, ditto ring spanners.
Spare glass bowl for fuel filter, owing to the one before last getting dropped into the bilge.
Tube of red Hermetite
Set feeler gauges, somewhat rusty.
Tube of Hermetite Instant Gasket
Set of alternator and Dynastart belts, rather used.
Dentist's mirror
Short lengths of hose, cooling water for the use of
Handbook, very oily, consisting of a pile of separate pages
Workshop manual, rather more respectable
and the prize item - an adjustable spanner, with a wicked looking V shaped notch on the other end, stamped "VOLVO" - they actually supplied one!

Is this typical?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Now maybe if we'd known what tools we needed to keep an aging MD2B working we'd not have a Yanmar under the cockpit now. I wish learning didn't have to be so painful sometimes...

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Sometimes this stuff comes in really handy.

First sail of the season, wind dropped, back against the tide, and the drive-belt shredded.

Was I grateful to my Parts Co-ordinator (AKA SWMBO) who not only had got in a spare, but crucially knew where to find it.

Aja

Visit site
...I dont see mention of 'the hammer' - when any/all of the list didn't work we resorted to giving the old thing a thump.

Rarely fixed it - but we all felt better.

Regards

Donald

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
The hammer

When I was living in Beijing I bought myself a Chang Jiang 750cc motorcycle - a fine specimen of Communist Engineering (pretty, lousy materials, assumes labour will always be cheap) which came with a sizeable toolkit, including a large hammer.

It was not quite clear what the hammer was for so I asked a friend, a Chinese motorcyle enthusiast. "That", he said,"is the last tool you use, when all else has failed!"

<hr width=100% size=1>

ghostwriter

Visit site
Panties ?

was she wearing any ??? women close to engines should wear 'em on a mandatory basis.

signed : the fancy-handy-panty league /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

and it's no joke either , it does work.

<hr width=100% size=1>