Amsterdam storm

sails_02

Visit site
Wednesday off the coast of Amsterdam, very sudden storm developed out of the English Channel. Seemed to suddenly form and start gusting 50++ knots. I guess due to the warm sea temperature?

Were there any contributing factors that would have predicted this? Weather seemed quite settled otherwise

Untitled-2022-07-10-1237.png
1688719136235.png

1688719161683.png

colinb11

Visit site
I don't know the technicals but presume they can predict based on pressure differentials between the primary Low Systems and adjacent high systems as they move.
They have mentioned the North Sea being 5C above normal but no idea how much extra energy, if any, that would contribute to weather systems.

F.Y.I This looks to have been predicted on Tuesday 4th by the Shipping Forecast for German Bight, Humber and Thames area which would cover Amsterdam?

Shipping Forecast - 04/07/2023 - BBC Sounds

The monthly outlook for July also mentions some high winds and thundery conditions: BBC Weather

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Netherlands had been hit with strong winds one street all the trees where uprooted quite a bit of damage in other places .
we in Denmark and we had winds of over 40 kts lasting days in some cases .
look like more wind next week ,

westhinder

Visit site
I don't know the technicals but presume they can predict based on pressure differentials between the primary Low Systems and adjacent high systems as they move.
They have mentioned the North Sea being 5C above normal but no idea how much extra energy, if any, that would contribute to weather systems.

F.Y.I This looks to have been predicted on Tuesday 4th by the Shipping Forecast for German Bight, Humber and Thames area which would cover Amsterdam?

The monthly outlook for July also mentions some high winds and thundery conditions: BBC Weather
It was predicted. At Schiphol airport lots of flights were cancelled the day before. My marina at Nieuwpoort sent out a mail warning that 50 knots gusts were predicted and reminding us to check our mooring lines.

sails_02

Visit site

Thanks that is very useful.

It was predicted. At Schiphol airport lots of flights were cancelled the day before. My marina at Nieuwpoort sent out a mail warning that 50 knots gusts were predicted and reminding us to check our mooring lines.
How unusual is this type of summer storm? I suppose mostly not unusual for the area to see those wind speeds and to cope fine with the storm?

westhinder

Visit site
How unusual is this type of summer storm? I suppose mostly not unusual for the area to see those wind speeds and to cope fine with the storm?
It was quite unusual in its severity. At IJmuiden they recorded an hour of solid Force 11. According to the Dutch Met Office it was the most violent summer storm ever recorded. The Netherlands got the worst of the storm.

Other threads that may be of interest