Ampair 100 wiring diagram. Does it need a divert heat sink?

Rappey

Visit site
Do you not mean a dump load ? If it has a two wire output then it's dc and needs a dump load for the surplus charge.
If it has 3 wires then it's ac and the turbines usually slow down to stop generating one batteries are full.

Jonathan Peter

Visit site
Many thanks. I will look at manual soon, as I couldn't find it. My unit is about 1990. Never failed in Pacific crossing for three years, with low output flexible solar panels and NO divert heat sink. Upgraded to 2 X 75w panels and added divert heat sink . Problem arose recently when upgraded to 2 X 120w panels, as on same regulator the dumping overheats the heat sink. Need 2 regulators, or simply remove divert wire to heat sink? Will that damage the Ampair, tho' my earlier experience suggests not. Max output about 5-6amps?

VicS

Visit site
Many thanks. I will look at manual soon, as I couldn't find it. My unit is about 1990. Never failed in Pacific crossing for three years, with low output flexible solar panels and NO divert heat sink. Upgraded to 2 X 75w panels and added divert heat sink . Problem arose recently when upgraded to 2 X 120w panels, as on same regulator the dumping overheats the heat sink. Need 2 regulators, or simply remove divert wire to heat sink? Will that damage the Ampair, tho' my earlier experience suggests not. Max output about 5-6amps?
Probably the best bet is a MPPT controller for the solar panels. 240 watts makes the MPPT worthwhile and it should optimise their use.