Aluminium Props

G

I have a Volvo saildrive with aluminium prop badly degraded by electrolysis - anode is eroded but fine.

If I buy a new prop can I coat it or plate it to protect it, it seems this is a major problem with these.

Is it worthwhile getting it repaired, if so any suggestions for repair companies?

BarryH

Visit site
Don't know wether powder coating it will help. I get lots of ali stuff done for my line of work, the coaters give it 5 year life. As to repair companies I found Steel Developments Very good. See thread on MBC about splines all the info there.

Regards

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Join the line! My setup is the same as yours - the lovely black coated ally prop only lasted one season before the rot started to set in.

I have tried a number of treatments, but in the course of the season and in British waters there is a good chance the prop will come into contact with something - a chip is all that's needed for the coating to start to unzip, it seems.

That said, I'm reasonably pleased with International's aluminium primer and their hard coat antifoul for props. Judging by the coral forest that attaches each season to my S leg on the east coast, the prop gets quite a lot of protection and retains most of its drive until lifting.

Yours is already damaged? Essential it is repaired expertly and balanced or damage of a serious nature will occur! S legs are good at masking vibrations that a conventional shaft drive will reveal quickly. The suggestion above is a good one -I have used them. However most repairers only splosh on a finishing touch of canned lacquer - pretty but quite useless!

pwg