Alternator Conversion

Jimbobs

Visit site
Hi Can anyone help with this? I have a Colvic Northerner which was fitted with a BMC 3.8 L "Commodore" engine. Although the engine only has 80 Hours on it, it is still fitted with a dynamo, the ammeter shows a positive charge of about 3 amps - If I dare use any lights (let alone the fridge/telly) while the engine is running the battery condition guage starts to drop. I have two leisure batteries and one cranking battery and the charging is through an R31 relay (I am reliably informed)

It has been suggested that I should convert this to an alternator, does anyone know what sort of alternator I should use and were to get brackets and so forth?

I would be grateful for any advice

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
You need to speak to Mike at AMC diesel, now called Thornycroft engines. They carry spares for all the old range of BMC engines and will no doubt be able to help you out.

Their telephone number is 017762 611144.

Also try www.boatsandoutboards.com and you'll get some suppliers there as well.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
A kosher dynamo should show more than 3 amps more like 25. If the dynamo charge light goes out then a possibility is that the dynamo is knacked. If it doesn't go out then normally the control box. Try taking the dynamo off connect small and large terminals to one side of a battery and ground the case (to positive if + earth to negative if -ve earth) the dynamo should run as a motor quite smoothly, don't run it for long.
As for an alternator take the dynamo bracket off and have a wander round a scrapyard. I bet it will be similar to another engines mountings. Acquire alternator from same source, then its a matter of mounting alternator on engine so pulleys line up. Meaure length of belt with piece of string and down motor factors for replacement. Wiring Alternator is easier than dynamo. Mail me and I'll send you a dia. based on alternator you get.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500