Alternative SOL ranking for leg 3

Dipper

Visit site
There is an alternative ranking system here which is reckoned to be more accurate than the SOL system. Which is rather good because I am 24 places better off! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spyro

Visit site
Have you got one that will tell us the positions tomorrow?
seriously how are they measured differently?

Dipper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you got one that will tell us the positions tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's working on it and it will be ready ... er .... tomorrow.

I don't know how it is measured but the distance is given to the nearest 10,000th of a millimeter. I'm going to stick a paper label on my bows which should give me a better chance of getting over the line first. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The SOL gods seem to think it might be more accurate. Perhaps it takes account of rhumb lines?

bumblefish

Visit site
Well I have been adrift for years, we appear to be swapping place on a regular basis at the moment. Is that a reflection of a rapidly changing strategy or erratic navigation skills? Or are you just off to meet up with Victorious?

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well I cocked up north of sri lanka (fell asleep at a critical time and set wrong course) but then decided to go for broke southwards and see if I could get to the top of the ybw league for my moment of fame... failed by 2.2 miles!

Too far south now, so have recently tacked: hence dropping back.

It makes a change-- In the last race I spent most of my time waving to Dipper and offering him bacon butties or croissants
(well provisioned boat, this one.. fully capable of drifting for days!)

bumblefish

Visit site
I see you are not alone in tacking North, TangoSailing set of a while ago. I am not sure many of us will be able to hold course without a little Northing.

Spyro

Visit site
It was the right time to tack with the wind veering about 2 degrees every hour until the early hours of tomorrow morn