All over boat cover

Bowlerhat

Visit site
I keep my QS 855 WE in a dry stack. There’s a roof over the top, but two of the four sides are open to the elements. The roosting pigeons, dust from a nearby cement factory and tiny rubber particles that the fork lifts shed all gather to make the boat dry, but manky. I’m thinking of an all over cover to protect it from stem to stern. Nothing heavy duty like canvass, but something more of a dust/cr*p protector. Does anyone know of a manufacturer or had experience with such a cover? There are a couple of ‘ready made’ options on line for generic 29/30 foot boats, but with a radar, search light etc on the roof I need something a little more bespoke. Any advice gratefully received as always. Thanks.

Ian h

Visit site
Not sure where you are but JB Yacht Services made a all over cover to fit exactly for my boat some years ago . They are Based around the Hamble area.

Tranona

Visit site
The majority of the cost of making a custom cover is labour so a lighter/cheaper material may not save you much over the more common fabrics such as Sumbrella or Sauleda.

AllanG

Visit site
Personally, I think having to fit/remove/store an over all cover to your size boat every time you use it would become a real pain very quickly!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
We had one tailor made for winter storage for our 30' Fly mobo. Breathable, snug and light, zipper in the rear to allow for easy access (winter projects etc. ;)). But certainly wouldn't like to remove it every time I'm on the boat (daily during summer season!).
1723097816908.png

For an earlier boat (21' on trailer), stored in a barn also was used for hay, I got a retired parachute to put over. Super light, but only works where the is no wind. For a 16' on trailer I purchased a universal cover, designed for trailering. PVC-something, very good value.

To inspire:
1723098541061.png

Last edited:

Bowlerhat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I’m thrilled with most aspects of dry stacking but ironically keeping the boat undercover does have a flip side. All the boats get grubby and a full wash down is typically needed before going boating if you want your clothes to stay clean as you move around. I agree the pain of fitting/removing so it’s a balance.

Bowlerhat

Visit site
We had one tailor made for winter storage for our 30' Fly mobo. Breathable, snug and light, zipper in the rear to allow for easy access (winter projects etc. ;)). But certainly wouldn't like to remove it every time I'm on the boat (daily during summer season!).

Our posts crossed in the post. Where did you have your custom cover made please?

ChromeDome

Visit site
It was made locally (boat is in Denmark) by GP Covers, and was mentioned merely for your inspiration. The material is non-woven Fibertex, but alternatives may work as well.

I'm sure manufacturers can be found in other places, for measuring and test fitting however proximity is a key point.

Just tested a Google search for tailored OR bespoke "Breathable" boat winter cover site:.uk which produced some hits.

If you can do with a universal fit it becomes easier. In this direction from Amazon:
1723100213589.png

Bowlerhat

Visit site
It was made locally (boat is in Denmark) by GP Covers, and was mentioned merely for your inspiration. The material is non-woven Fibertex, but alternatives may work as well.

I'm sure manufacturers can be found in other places, for measuring and test fitting however proximity is a key point.

Just tested a Google search for tailored OR bespoke "Breathable" boat winter cover site:.uk which produced some hits.

If you can do with a universal fit it becomes easier. In this direction from Amazon:
Thanks ChromeDome. I checked these out too. It’s the radar dome that the pre-made ones don’t appear to cater for. I’m in the south west so I’ll have a ring around.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Added info, based on the agreed design and features:

"The price for a Fibertex winter tarpaulin is DKK 27800 including VAT (GBP 3210).
The amount covers 2 x transport incl. bridge fees, construction of the stand, stringing, cutting, sewing and installation."

Visit #2:
1723101089893.png

DK is not a low labour country, but not many are these days 💸💸💸

Bowlerhat

Visit site
"The price for a Fibertex winter tarpaulin is DKK 27800 including VAT (GBP 3210).
The amount covers 2 x transport incl. bridge fees, construction of the stand, stringing, cutting, sewing and installation."

DK is not a low labour country, but not many are these days 💸💸💸
Really helpful as a ballpark. Thanks again.

Ian h

Visit site
Personally, I think having to fit/remove/store an over all cover to your size boat every time you use it would become a real pain very quickly!
I had all over cover on a 36 foot boat and it was no issue as the boat was dry stacked, I did keep it cleaner so saved time there,

Mine was medium weight so used to removed and store on the rack while out,