Alicante

nicho

Visit site
We're considering berthing our boat permanently in Alicante Marina. Whilst we will be visiting very regularly we will not be "liveabaords" so we are being cheeky and asking if anyone has experience of the Alicante Marina, it's facilities, costs, what it's like to stay for reasonably extended periods etc. We have an 11.4m boat but cannot find any details of the marina on the internet. Any info will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Mike N

hylas

Visit site
Hi,
I just pass by last automn..
Very nice marina with all facilities.. just in the center of the city..
But it was fully booked.. and I could hardly stay more than one night...

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
We looked at Alicante in October. Our impression was that it is pricey and full of gin-palace yachts. Beware of the hidden costs of electricity and water and tax which mount up if you are there or not. The town is quite pleasant and the locality is interesting as you can travel round Murcia by train/bus.

We are overwintering in Torrevieja which is less posh but a good little town with nice beaches, bars, restaurants and a fantastic Thursday Market. There is a thriving liveaboard community.

Denia is very well spoken of but gets very full. If money is a problem Puerto de Campobello is quite close to Alicante. Further away from Alicante, Puerto de Guardamar and Puerto de San Pedro del Pinatar are cheap and sheltered.

The best publication for all things to do with Spanish Marinas is "Cruising Guide to Spain & Portugal. This is in Spanish and English costs 15 euros and gives up-to-date marina prices, facilities and phone/fax/e-mail/websites. Dont go to Spain without it...

Best wishes

smee

Visit site
There is a website called www.barcos24.com which has a lot of marinas listed and may have a website link to Alicante marina (if it works!).

I keep my boat in Torrevieja, which is a very nice town, developing to a big town by the day. The market is Friday, by the way, not Thursday and is huge. The best thing about it is only a short walk away from all the amenities (supermarkets, banks, ferreterias, farmacias, doctors, dentists, chandleries etc) and the bus stops (it is well covered for buses which get you all round Torre for 40p a trip approx.). I think anything you want would be within 15 minutes walk. I think in Alicante you have to walk a lot more to get to the shops etc.

There is a big comunity of Brits in the marina, and plenty of live-aboards so there is always someone around to keep a look out for your boat when it is unattended. Also there are several people who do airport runs at reasonable rates too, so getting to and from airport is not a problem. I also think it is cheaper than Alicante!

nicho

Visit site
Thanks - I've had one or two others mention Torreveija - we will be taking a few days out there to look at half a dozen marinas in the vicinity, and will certainly add this to the list. What is the sailing like out there - is it "all wind or no wind" as has been mooted to me elsewhere, or is there reasonable wind (for me up to F5 isd comfortable) most of the time - I imagine you can sail comfortably all year round?

Thanks again

Mike N

smee

Visit site
Yes Torrevieja is certainly worth a look.
Can't really comment on the wind situation as never sailed there (yet)!! My boat is currently a floating villa. It can get quite windy in the afternoon, but usually see boats sailing along so it is probably only too strong sometimes! Unfortunately my wind indicator isn't working so I've never been able to see actually strengths but it would be interesting to know myself!!!!

Good luck.

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
There were last october! Also some catamarans. Also mono and multihulls anchored in the harbour west of the marina. Harbourmaster is rumoured to be iffy about long-term liveaboard anchorage as there is a beach in the harbour and toilet effluent etc would be unwelcome...

James_Hunter

Visit site
I suppose it all depends on what you want. Torrevieja has become something of an itinerant camp on water -scruffy boats with scruffy flags, mainly tatty red ensigns on equally tatty boats, with the washing hanging on every bit of rigging, I'm afraid. Its certainly not Spain! As I say, it depends on what you want. We did a runner!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Tot homines quot sententia!

Torry has the best showers and loos that we have to date encountered in the whole of Iberian Peninsula.

It also has a well endowed chandlery run by a Brit and a cheaper one run by a super Spanish Lady.

<hr width=100% size=1>