Algarve marinas

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
We were recommended to overwinter in Portimao but other cruisers have told us that there can be a dangerous surge into the marina with both pontoons and boats getting damaged. Anyone got first hand experience of overwintering in Portimao and the alternatives? Thanks

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
We've seen the damage in the north basin, fingers broken off with boats still attached and walkway ramps in the water. Friends had boat badly damaged and another had fairleads ripped out of toe rail. The south basin is better protected by stone breakwater but very limited space for visitors as locals want to be there in winter. I wouldn't winter there, on board or not.

Albufeira has the best sheltered marina (and closer to the airport) with Lagos second.

Last edited:

Ludd

Visit site
We've seen the damage in the north basin, fingers broken off with boats still attached and walkway ramps in the water. Friends had boat badly damaged and another had fairleads ripped out of toe rail. The south basin is better protected by stone breakwater but very limited space for visitors as locals want to be there in winter. I wouldn't winter there, on board or not.

Albufeira has the best sheltered marina (and closer to the airport) with Lagos second.

+1

Yngmar

Visit site
We wintered in Albufeira, and while it does get a surge, it was quite harmless at our pontoon in the center of the big basin in the rear. However, the middle basin just past the office, where the larger yachts (50ft+ or so) are put looked quite uncomfortable, and they were taking it on the beam.

Portimao we haven't been to in a gale, so can't say, but we wrote a summary of the Algarve marinas (all our opinion, of course), which may be helpful to you: https://sdfjkl.org/blog/2018-04-09-wintering-algarve/

greeny

Visit site
I've been in Portimao marina for 16 years now and never suffered damage. Others have not been so lucky.
The south basin is quite well protected and suffers minimal surge compared to the north basin where the surge comes in the entrance and then finds its way into the corners where the problem is often more amplified.
That's not to say that the south basin doesn't have any swell, it can be quite lively at times.
I also have heavy duty ropes for use during the winter months. Too many boats are left with poor excuses for mooring lines even for the summer months and the owners sometimes get what they deserve I'm afraid.
I'd have no worries about leaving a boat there in the south basin but in the north i would have some concerns especially if i wasn't living locally to check things.

nortada

Visit site
Although I have never wintered in Portimao, I have been in there on board in bad weather but never suffered any damage - others have.

On the broader subject of where to winter on the Algarve all marinas have their merits but I would plumb for either Albufeira or Lagos. If I was planning to leave the boat for extended periods, because of it’s proximity to Faro, I would use Albufeira but it is rather quiet and a bit of a walk into town and both the bus station and railway station are a fair distance away. Nevertheless, there is a good local bus service.

On the other hand Lagos is well populated throughout the winter months, is close to town and the train and bus stations are on the doorstep. Additionally, if required, Sopromar boatyard is readily available. Sopromar is probably the best equipped boatyard in the Algarve. From experience, Lagos is totally secure in all weather conditions.

My real answer is, if time permits, visit all three marinas and make up your own mind.

This thread has been running for a longtime and has a wealth of information on the Algarve:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?338051-The-Truth-About-Sailing-On-The-Algarve.

Hope this helps.

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Thanks to all. So far I have quotes from Portimao and Lagos, waiting to hear from Albufeira. Lagos is twice the price of Portimao - totally shocked!!!! Will report on Albufeira in due course. Cheers

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
We wintered in Albufeira, and while it does get a surge, it was quite harmless at our pontoon in the center of the big basin in the rear. However, the middle basin just past the office, where the larger yachts (50ft+ or so) are put looked quite uncomfortable, and they were taking it on the beam.

Portimao we haven't been to in a gale, so can't say, but we wrote a summary of the Algarve marinas (all our opinion, of course), which may be helpful to you: https://sdfjkl.org/blog/2018-04-09-wintering-algarve/

Like your reviews. Cheers

Richard10002

Visit site
Thanks to all. So far I have quotes from Portimao and Lagos, waiting to hear from Albufeira. Lagos is twice the price of Portimao - totally shocked!!!! Will report on Albufeira in due course. Cheers

Id suggest that you get what you pay for with Lagos. A well protected marina with very good facilities and a supermarket across the road. Adjacent to the station, and a very short walk into a nice old town, with a good boatyard next door. An active boating community if you like that kind of thing.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Id suggest that you get what you pay for with Lagos. A well protected marina with very good facilities and a supermarket across the road. Adjacent to the station, and a very short walk into a nice old town, with a good boatyard next door. An active boating community if you like that kind of thing.

Agree that's what we found, also a nice beach a short walk away.

Heckler

Visit site
Have just booked Albufeira, with my RYA 15% discount, €2500 for 9 months from September 15th. 11.6mtrs

maxi77

Visit site
We over wintered in Albufeira a few years back and found it fine. Yes a bit of a walk to town but there are decent bars and eateries on the marina, and they now have washing machines. The bus service is good once you get the hang of it and runs every 30 mins. The one from the marina takes you into the old town then on to the bus station where you can get buses to other parts of town and the station. A ticket is valid for one hour which allows you to get one bus and change at the bus station to another. The market is beside the bus station and is good for fruit and veg and clothes