Algae on deck (moved from Chatham to Gillingham)

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
My boat stayed relatively clean while at Chatham the past year apart from when it was on the yard there. I relocated to Gillingham a few weeks ago and the deck is getting quite green to my annoyance as its hard enough keeping an older boat looking clean. Can anyone recomend something to keep it looking clean?. I expect it is to do more with there being lots of trees around the marina at Gilingham. Thank you. (i used to use Patio Magic when in Erith)

Goldie

Visit site
GRP deck or teak - or something else?

On suitable surfaces, I spray dilute Sodium Hypochlorite - the stuff farmers use for cleaning milking parlours amongst other things, but many other applications too. Spray on (I use a back pack), leave 30 mins and wash off. Loads of other uses too!

johnalison

Visit site
The advantage of Patio Magic is that it is ready obtainable, also in other versions, and will deter mould and algae for about six months, depending on the surface. I would avoid spraying if possible since it is not nice to inhale. It only takes a short while to do my teak decks with a soft deck brush.

johnalison

Visit site
And then washes off the boat and into the water. I know there are plenty of people who won't care, I'm only pointing out the label to those that might.
This topic has been raised before. I don’t know whether it washes off or binds to the surface, in my case teak. For the time being, I am happy to believe that it binds to teak, and I take care to put it on with a brush rather than spray, as I do at home on, surprise surprise, the patio.

TSB240

Visit site
Note that patio magic states:
  • Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
I don't think I'd be comfortable using it unless the boat was ashore

I have used it regularly and spray it on NEAT to any covers, teak decks ,fibreglass topsides and teak rubbing strake on a dry day and letting it dry. It will gradually get into solution with each rain laden weather front.

The fish stocks in our mainly freshwater dock are more at risk from the raiding sea otters and the odd cormorant and remain healthy despite the additional pollution from oil and antifouling running off from dockside maintenance and wash downs.

The main concern is the run off from cleaning patios into ornamental ponds where the dilution factor may be minimal and the fish stocks in a more concentrated and enclosed environment.

I remain quite comfortable using it this way and knowing that it will probably need treating every six months to remain algae free.

Concerto

Visit site
Note that patio magic states:
  • Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
I don't think I'd be comfortable using it unless the boat was ashore
What no disclaimer about anything in the garden and entering the water course.

The dilution on a boat after any rainfall would be so miniscule, which then would be further diluted in the water the boat sits in to the order of millions of parts of water to the Patio Magic active ingredients. The warning is probably there to dicourage its marine use as they have a "marine" product they can sell you at a higher price or they have never tested in a marine environment and are covering themselves against possible legal problems.

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
Digging deeperinto Patio Magic, it was part of Scotts Miracle Grow company until 2018 when the whole company was bought by private equity firm Exponent and renamed Evergreen Garden Care Ltd.

Screenshot (190) 1000pix.jpg
Gardenforum Subscription

Welcome to Exponent

Their list of companies makes interesting reading.
Our portfolio

This is the Exponent's company descrition.
"Evergreen was formed through the acquisition of the European and Asia-Pacific operations of Scotts Miracle-Gro, the world's leading marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care. The business is a leader in garden consumables and operates primarily in the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Poland and Australia. Its leading consumer brands include Evergreen, Roundup, Miracle-Gro, Weedol, KB, Substral, Nexalotte, and Osmocote."
Evergreen

So my comment in my last post about covering themselves against possible legal problems is probably most likely for the disclaimer about marine use for Patio Magic.

xyachtdave

Visit site
And then washes off the boat and into the water. I know there are plenty of people who won't care, I'm only pointing out the label to those that might.

I used to use Patio Magic on my teak and yes it works.

However the suggestion only a minuscule amount could make its way into the water system isn’t the case in my experience.

Two or three weeks or more after application, a quick hose off of the deck would result in large amounts of fresh foaming bubbles and run off, it’s not soaking into your teak never to be seen again.

I stopped using it as wanted to be part of the solution rather than the problem.

johnalison

Visit site
As well as algae, a teak deck needs mould treated if it is to look silvery. The product doesn't appear to mention this, though the photos seem to show a similar effect to Patio Magic. I rather think that the stone wall looked better before treatment though. As a rule, I prefer to pick things up when I need them rather than have to send off for them, but I'll keep an eye open for this stuff.