Alderney

AIDY

www.ybw.com
what it like in a light 15 knots NW wind ? i know it's a No in a NE... thinking of this weekend or maybe cherb would be better ???

rob2

Visit site
It depends...

if your boat is comfortable in a seaway and you can get tucked into the NW corner of the harbour, you'll be OK. Have been there when the sea was breaking over the Admiralty Breakwater - the motion rocks you to sleep. I'd be inclined to make up a chain to attach to the mooring buoy, though - chafe can become an issue in such weather.

Getting ashore in a swell is a bigger issue, I'm told the water taxi is getting a bit pricey and a rubber duck is no fun in gusty conditions with your only pair of clean, dry underpants on.

Rob

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
It depends...

if your boat is comfortable in a seaway and you can get tucked into the NW corner of the harbour, you'll be OK. Have been there when the sea was breaking over the Admiralty Breakwater - the motion rocks you to sleep. I'd be inclined to make up a chain to attach to the mooring buoy, though - chafe can become an issue in such weather.

Getting ashore in a swell is a bigger issue, I'm told the water taxi is getting a bit pricey and a rubber duck is no fun in gusty conditions with your only pair of clean, dry underpants on.

Rob

I was there this week. £1.50 per person each way, so the further out you anchor, the better value it is!

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Approach to Braye needs to be given a little thought but the almanacs and cruising guides give the basic info - I would advise going a little North if you approach from the West, to play safe, also get the tide right - don't get accidentally swept down to Guernsey on a fast tide.
If the mooring buoys still have a rusty steel loop then consider either the chain as/Rob2 or sleeving 2 seperate mooring lines with thick plastic pipe to stop them chaffing through.
NW should be fine. NE can be between uncomfortable and dangerous.

Last edited:

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Whatever the approach, whether you use a buoy or anchor the boat will roll like a pig all night, whatever type of boat, the result being you wont get any sleep, go to Cherbourg or Dielette.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Whatever the approach, whether you use a buoy or anchor the boat will roll like a pig all night, whatever type of boat, the result being you wont get any sleep, go to Cherbourg or Dielette.

I didn't get the swell that others have experienced, my long keeler may not be such a problem, but how about making up a 'flopper stopper' to help the situation if it arises?.
Google it for ideas.

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk

Seconded. We arrived after dusk hungry and slightly seasick. Swell from the NE. Harbour was quite full so we were a long way out. Spent the night with the lee cloths up listening the the saucepans rattling in the cupboard. Got off at first light and found a tree to hug. And a cooked breakfast.

Robin

Visit site
NW is protected off the breakwater but likely to hold you side on to any swell coming round it's end and you will roll. This time of year it will be very busy and rafting up is normal but not to be recommended in any swell there, but the buoys may be all in use. If you do go use chain on the buoy or your boat could go home without you..

AIDY

www.ybw.com
thanks chaps.. i'm in guernsey at the moment heading home... it rather busy here now... debating weymuff now or cherb before we go home. just come up from the glenans over the last few days.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Braye Harbour

...how about making up a 'flopper stopper' to help the situation if it arises?.

We got caught there a few years ago, it was blowing ENE and persisting down as we huddled down below and bounced on a buoy; my wife made the same suggestion and I was naieve enough then to give it a go. 3/4 hour later I was once again huddled down below and bouncing around, the only differnces being that I was now p1ss wet through, had bruised knees, cut hands and the boat was lighter to the tune of one flopper stopper; it might still be on the bottom, if someone wants to dive for it.

We've got another flopper-stopper since, but nowadays I accept their limitations.

Robin

Visit site
thanks chaps.. i'm in guernsey at the moment heading home... it rather busy here now... debating weymuff now or cherb before we go home. just come up from the glenans over the last few days.

One thing we did if the tides suit was to go to Alderney from St Peter Port in the morning, stay a tide for a trip ashore then go to Cherbourg on the next tide. Often that would get us into Cherbourg marina late enough that with the local time being an hour later (and sometimes a bit of poetic licence) we could have 'arrived this morning' when asked next day to pay.:)

AIDY

www.ybw.com
thanks robin... decision made... fuel tomorrow afternoon at 58p then hit cherb about 10pm... I'm guessing it will be chocker with the schools finishing this week.... gives a bit more flexibility wilth the tides etc... and hopefully some wind.

guernsey has suddenly got busy tonight !

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Oh dear plan gone wrong I'm still here....:D no wind and GP tomorrow:D

turning mobo boats away tonight. all finger's taken for yachts and rafter 3 deep :Din the south end of marina.... maybe 85 % full in st peter's port tonight...

fun last night some drunk decided to get up on the roof of the boat house resturant and start chucking roof tiles into the road at people and into the marina all at 2.30 in the morning took the old bill an hour to get him down he was threatening to jump:D

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site

I haven't tried it, but in a NW, surely you are better off on the Eastern side of Alderney? There are anchorages there.

Or, why not anchor East of Sark. That I have tried and it is perfect as well as ideally placed to catch the Alderney race northwards. Not much closer than Alderney, but we are only talking a few hours sailing. We were there this week and it was perfect.

Pete7

Visit site
turning mobo boats away tonight. all finger's taken for yachts and rafter 3 deep :Din the south end of marina.... maybe 85 % full in st peter's port tonight...

Aidy, are the outer harbour pontoons also full? we plan on calling in next week.

Pete

AIDY

www.ybw.com
spaces outside... some are rafted 2 deep and some just on pontoon on there own. not much movement this morning bit of a pea souper earlier on and drizzle can here the fog horns.

last few days been about 25 /30 boats coming in from the waiting pontoon.

Pete7

Visit site
Excellent, fog and rain, sounds just like a summer holiday for us, we are on our way :)

Southern England is hot and sunny with the occasional big fluffy clouds and a gentle breeze.

Pete

mainbrayce

www.mainbrayce.co.uk
Water taxi

It depends...

Rob

We run the water taxi and the price has been the same for about 10 years now and more efficient than it has been in the past!