Albacore as GP dinghy

aitchw

Visit site
This year is the year I get back on the water. I have been offered an Albacore in good order at sensible price. Originally looking for a GP14, I wondered if any of you good people could advise whether or not the Albacore would be suitable for pottering around in possibly under outboard power when fishing.
The boat would be sailed at a local club generally and used as a general purpose dinghy on holidays on the west coast of Scotland.
Thanks.
Howard

Strathglass

Visit site
Not much wrong with an albacore, about the same weight as a GP14 bur a bit longer. They don't carry spinakers when racing so its a jib pole and goose-winged when going downwind. The construction is either cold moulded wood like the firefly or grp. They are round bilged not double chine construction so some repairs could be more difficult. Nice to sail and they feel bigger than a GP.
Iain

aitchw

Visit site
This one is cold moulded ply. I am pretty good with repairs of most things wooden.

It is just this final question of using an outboard with it.

The Albacore has a lot of good points. I want to introduce my 11yr old son to sailing but want a boat I can single-hand if he does not take to it. If he does take it up and eventually want to race something more exciting I will still want the Albacore as a general purpose boat.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Howard

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
A nicer boat than a GP14. There are those who consider the Uffa Fox designed, Fairey Marine built, hot moulded (NOT cold moulded - big difference!) boats - the Firefly, Albacore and Jolly Boat - as true classics of the smallest size, in a way in which the GP 14, Enterprise, etc can never be.

I see no problem with using a small outboard, but I think you will seldom need it.

aitchw

Visit site
Thanks, Mirelle.
I was fairly convinced that the Albacore is a better way to go and you have more or less confirmed it. I read the history stuff on an Albacore site and realise the difference between the moulding processes.
Thanks again.