Air pockets coming from stuffing box

Supertramp

Visit site
If its the standard barrel type with threaded plunger .... unscrew the barrel from the base plate. Wind the threaded plunger all way down (may have to catch any remaining grease and 'spoon' it back in ....

Take pot of grease - hopefully with the plate and hole in centre on top of the grease ... place barrel over hole in plate ... press lightly while unscrewing threaded plunger - this should create suction pulling solid grease into the barrel.

There should be no need to use a blade or spoon to fill the barrel ... its same action as used for filling standard grease guns.

In use ? Before starting any trip - I give greaser a couple of turns on the plunger - just to get a small amount of fresh grease in to the seal. I then go on my trip ... I don't give any more grease during the run ... the slight ingress of water provides the necessary .... along with the packing.
Once arrived at destination and engine stopped - I then give a couple of turns again.

I used to give turns every few hours during a trip - but ended up with grease spread around the bilge where too much excess was thrown out at the adjustment nut ...
Strangely I also noted that packing tended to be scorched when replaced - which may have been due to too much grease preventing water from getting to the packing. Since changing to not greasing during trips - I noticed last change of packing - it was not scorched.
Having just replaced cutlass, packing etc I agree with you and Norman S. I had a lot of grease (like a grease gun worth) along the 4ft of shaft in the stern tube. I am adding grease only after stopping now and positively wanting to see a drip.