Affordable places to store boat over winter

Lushomo21

Visit site
Hi there,

Im a Brit leaving SA with my 39ft Lavranos monohull after being based there many years. I am trying to work out where I can keep my 39ft monohull at a relatively low cost and close to somewhere nice to sail with tiny kids. Any recommendations of possible boat yards or marinas in Southern Europe?

I tried a few places recommended by friends in Greece, but they were either full or quite pricey.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The most cheapest in central med are the Sicilian marinas unless you happy to go to North Africa if you looking at keeping the boat in the water ,
Turkey is almost fully booked in the popular spot and prices are rising quickly Brexit have done them a good turn ,
Greece have catamaran coming out of their ears taken up spaces plus it's not that cheap any more ,
There places like almarimer in Spain and the odd marina in Sardinia ,
If you say where your thinking off maybe other suggestion will come to light .

Metabarca

Visit site
Have a look at the marinas at the top end of the Adriatic, and specifically at Monfalcone: Hannibal, Nautec, Ocean, Cadei... Several satisfied forumites can't be wrong! And you're half a day from Croatia and pleasant locations like Rovinj and Porec, one day to Losinj and Unite and all points south. Airport ten minutes away, Venice one hour by train, safe storage, skilled hands if required. Certainly the cheapest marinas in the Adriatic (barring perhaps, but only perhaps, Albania...).

Lushomo21

Visit site
No-one replied so I thought I'd bounce you up a bit.

I kept my motor cruiser here: Puerto de la Duquesa – Marinas del Mediterráneo

There were quite a few sailing boats, not the most picturesque part of the Med, bur some interesting sailing.

Perhaps if you give a few more requirements you might get some more answers - the Med's a big place.
Thanks very much! From what I see that is just up the coast from Gibraltar. If so that is interesting because its probably close to the first bit of Europe that the crew will enter. I will give them a call and check out if they can store the boat and maybe even tell me where to clear in. I’ll have to pay VAT on the boat to the customs near there I guess. Again, thanks for the info.

Lushomo21

Visit site
The most cheapest in central med are the Sicilian marinas unless you happy to go to North Africa if you looking at keeping the boat in the water ,
Turkey is almost fully booked in the popular spot and prices are rising quickly Brexit have done them a good turn ,
Greece have catamaran coming out of their ears taken up spaces plus it's not that cheap any more ,
There places like almarimer in Spain and the odd marina in Sardinia ,
If you say where your thinking off maybe other suggestion will come to light .
Thanks @sailaboutvic
Sicily sounds tremendous. Have you heard of any marinas or boat storage yards in particular? Right now the boat is a week or so South of Ascension. There is a chance that when it arrives in the Med the crew will want rid of her before getting too far East in the Med. So I should check a Sicilian option or two, as you suggest.

Lushomo21

Visit site
Have a look at the marinas at the top end of the Adriatic, and specifically at Monfalcone: Hannibal, Nautec, Ocean, Cadei... Several satisfied forumites can't be wrong! And you're half a day from Croatia and pleasant locations like Rovinj and Porec, one day to Losinj and Unite and all points south. Airport ten minutes away, Venice one hour by train, safe storage, skilled hands if required. Certainly the cheapest marinas in the Adriatic (barring perhaps, but only perhaps, Albania...).
Thanks @Metabarca
I thought Italy would be way more pricey than Greece. So i should check. There is a yard an hour from Athens that I’ve been recommended that is quite cheap and cheerful. And that should be lovely sailing I guess. But the top of the Adriatic might be better longer term as I could drive there in less than a day from where I stay near Geneva. I’ll try calling some places near the spots you mentioned whch I’ve checked on the map.

We’ve emmigrated from South Africa to France, and are moving into a new house just as the boat arrives, so Im looking for a low admin place to stash the boat for a while till I get the headspace to take the family there, probably in April. The boat is set to arrive late Dec or early Jan (currently its East of St Helena, with not great wind). We’d ideally want something quite affordable, driveable from near Geneva would be awesome (though I was resigned to flying), and near some family friendly sailing. Im hoping we’ll spend a few weeks a year doing some easy sailing wherever we end up till our two small boys (youngest still 2 !) get big enough to let us do something more adventurous.

Tranona

Visit site
Have you checked that you can actually import your boat into the EU? Does it have a CE mark - that is comply with the RCD?. If not then you will have to arrange a post construction assessment.

However, if you are resident in Switzerland you are outside the EU and can keep a boat for up to 18 months in the EU under Temporary Admission rules. This can be effectively renewed by leaving the EU for a short period and re-entering to start another 18 months. Many Swiss residents keep their boats through this mechanism VAT free. Metebarca's suggestion is ideal for doing this as you can sail easily to Montenegro or Albania for your out of EU periods getting evidence by way of a marina receipt and customs entry ad exit.

If you have not done so already you perhaps need to do some serious research so that you do not end up being forced to pay VAT by overzealous Spanish customs. You may find this useful www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-8-sailing-your-pleasure-craft-to-and-from-the-uk although it is for entering the UK after Brexit, most of it, including the rules for Temporary Admission are cut and paste from EU rules. However how these rules are implemented may vary from state to state.

Hope this helps.

Lushomo21

Visit site
Have you checked that you can actually import your boat into the EU? Does it have a CE mark - that is comply with the RCD?. If not then you will have to arrange a post construction assessment.

However, if you are resident in Switzerland you are outside the EU and can keep a boat for up to 18 months in the EU under Temporary Admission rules. This can be effectively renewed by leaving the EU for a short period and re-entering to start another 18 months. Many Swiss residents keep their boats through this mechanism VAT free. Metebarca's suggestion is ideal for doing this as you can sail easily to Montenegro or Albania for your out of EU periods getting evidence by way of a marina receipt and customs entry ad exit.

If you have not done so already you perhaps need to do some serious research so that you do not end up being forced to pay VAT by overzealous Spanish customs. You may find this useful www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-8-sailing-your-pleasure-craft-to-and-from-the-uk although it is for entering the UK after Brexit, most of it, including the rules for Temporary Admission are cut and paste from EU rules. However how these rules are implemented may vary from state to state.

Hope this helps.
A CE assessment? That doesn’t sound great. From what I have now read I was thinking I would go to Malta, pay the 18% VAT, hopefully on a valuation that was favourable, and that would be the end of it. Even with that plus the expense of the crew I thought I’d be better off if I had to sell, doing it up in the Med and not SA. The Rand and the SA sailing market isnt great. Starting to wonder if I was right though….
Thanks for your useful comments.

Tranona

Visit site
A CE assessment? That doesn’t sound great. From what I have now read I was thinking I would go to Malta, pay the 18% VAT, hopefully on a valuation that was favourable, and that would be the end of it. Even with that plus the expense of the crew I thought I’d be better off if I had to sell, doing it up in the Med and not SA. The Rand and the SA sailing market isnt great. Starting to wonder if I was right though….
Thanks for your useful comments.
But if Malta are operating the EU rules on certification properly you will still need to get a post construction assessment. You cannot legally sell the boat in the EU without it. Seriously consider keeping it as non resident owned if you can. You can sell it as that because there are always people for whom a cheaper, non VAT paid boat is attractive, for example if they want to go cruising outside Europe, or move to Turkey.