Aerosol hazards

G

How many of you saw the recent TV report regarding aerosol hazards? Briefly, a kitchen was blown to pieces when an aerosol can leaked gas which was ignited by a faulty boiler pilot light.

With the need to limit ozone damaging propellants manufacturers of aerosols have turned to LPG products, mainly propane to get the product out of the can. For example, Mr Sheen polish contains 23% flamable products.

On a boat, a damaged or rusting aerosol can could result in propane gatering in the bilges, waiting for a spark to ignite it. ie when you switch on the battery master switch.

We are all aware of the dangers of gas installations on boats and treat them with a healthy respect, but how many of us have rusty aerosols on board? I know I did.

Be aware!

KL

G

Never really thought about it but its a very good point,all my cleaning kit ( which contains aerosols is kept in the bilge....best check them

Thanks

brianrunyard

homepage.ntlworld.com
I saw the programme and checked what old Aerosols we had at home but didn't think about what might be on the boat, I'll check tomorrow though. I know there's WD40, an old Easy Start and a hand held air horn, for starters.