Aero-rig benefits?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The Aerorig is one solid assembly and the mast is of fairly conventional cross-section. The Aerorig is in 3 parts - a short pillar attached to the boat, a boom assembly pivoted on the pillar and a freely-rotating wing sitting on top of the boom. The mainsail pulls the wing to one side or the other to form an aerofoil leading edge. You can sail on just the mast of the Aerorig so it also serves as a storm sail (I have done 9 knots under mast).

Thanks. Interesting. (Though presumably all after first sentence refers to Freewing, not Aerorig?)

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I know one boat in Curacou that did a circumnavigation with and an aero rig and a member of this parish who had an aero ring and converted to a traditional for aft rig. I wouldn't buy an aero rig I prefer the fleixibility of sloops and ketches which we had.

snowleopard

Visit site
I know one boat in Curacou that did a circumnavigation with and an aero rig and a member of this parish who had an aero ring and converted to a traditional for aft rig. I wouldn't buy an aero rig I prefer the fleixibility of sloops and ketches which we had.

Personally I'd never go back but each to his own.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It has been said that less winches are needed
However, one still has to hoist the main & jib
One still has to put reefs in the sails, adjust leech tension ( a sail set off wind is set different to a sail set for windward regardless of rig)
In addition the lines etc have to be lead back to the cockpit & presumably need more blocks etc ( unless everything is mounted on the rig)
One cannot use an asymmetric sail or spinnaker so there is a potential speed loss downwind
I would also query the statement it is cheaper
The rigging on my boat cost £1000-00 to replace & i am sure the mast costs a lot less than a carbon spar with carbon boom etc. the boom has to be extremely strong to counter the upward forces so all in there is a lot of carbon & that is not cheap
The weight increase, whether at deck level or not, must be higher
I expect some insurance companies would fight shy of this rig simply due to lack of data

So i do not understand the assertion that less gear is needed & it is as cheap as a conventional rig