aegina

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I do not know Squeeky other than from reading his posts, new to the Aegean having moved here end of this season.
I am wintering in Jordans yard following recommendations from this room, but always open to know what is available in an area I hope to cruise for a few seasons.

That's good. I will come and say hello when I get back next week. Jordon's 's yard is good .

Visit site
That's good. I will come and say hello when I get back next week. Jordon's 's yard is good .

Wish I was able to be there, now back home in the UK until end of Feb. my boat is a blue hulled Nic.38 ketch on the left against the fence about halfway to the slipway. Hope we get an opportunity to meet up next year.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Bob - I note from JimB's web site that there all the yards seem to use underlift trailers. Since being lifted and damaged at Messalonghi in 2010 I have avoided any underlift trailer except the one at Aktio yard where the pads cover almost the whole length of the boat. Are their any photos around? I dont think my insurers would be happy to see another claim!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When we were in Jordan's yard last year we were lifted and launched with a hoist. We were then transferred to a trailer that from my photos seems to have very generous pads, they look to be around a metre in length.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
There are 4 trailers all with different size pads on the biggest they are about 4 ft long. In the time that I have been here 2000 not seen or heard of any problems.And they are taking yachts out that are over 50ft

Last edited:
Visit site
When we were in Jordan's yard last year we were lifted and launched with a hoist. We were then transferred to a trailer that from my photos seems to have very generous pads, they look to be around a metre in length.

He lifted me the same, very professional, then on to the trailor with hydraulic positioning pads, safe as houses.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris, you need to be aware that boats are stored on shores, not cradles. Done very well but not sure how they would stand up to the sort of winds that Lavrion have experienced recently.

I think I would prefer shores, properly cross braced to some of the dreadful cradle designs. However my insurance insists on cradles. There needs to be a good discussion on how boats should be cradled. Propped at the waterline, with Struts that are aligned to the compression forces (ie approx 45 Degrees) and not relying on sideways strength of a vertical steel bar.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There are 4 trailers all with different size pads on the biggest they are about 4 ft long. In the time that I have been here 2000 not seen or heard of any problems.And they are taking yachts out that are over 50ft

Bob the ones that give problems are when the rear pods are actually 2 pads hinged in the middle. The result on a ribbed boat like Westerly and Moodies are that they do not span the 1 meter centres between the ribs. Result - bent bottom.

But the big problem for me - according to Vyv, is that they don't use cradles - which I personally prefer - but my insurer - Navigators - won't accept..

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
For more about the several yards and facilities of Aegina, go to http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/athens.

However, you can only reach the real low-down about the Aegina yards if you're logged in to the site. One of the yards won't suit some people . . .

We've used Planaco Boatyard, Aegina, http://www.planaco.gr/en for our boats for 15 years now and can recommend them. The information you have on your site about Planaco is rather sparse compared to the other yards, Jim. There's a new manager this season so can I send you his name and other details for inclusion?

They are not the cheapest yard on the island but they don't charge a lot more than the others. Like Bob, we can often negotiate a better rate. Planaco probably has more yachts that belong to yachting companies and professional owners than private yachts ... but the reasons why we're prepared to pay a bit more may be valid for some private yacht owners as well ...

Chris, there is video of how they lift sailing and motor yachts, and catamarans here:

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
We've used Planaco Boatyard, Aegina, http://www.planaco.gr/en for our boats for 15 years now and can recommend them. The information you have on your site about Planaco is rather sparse compared to the other yards, Jim. There's a new manager this season so can I send you his name and other details for inclusion?

They are not the cheapest yard on the island but they don't charge a lot more than the others. Like Bob, we can often negotiate a better rate. Planaco probably has more yachts that belong to yachting companies and professional owners than private yachts ... but the reasons why we're prepared to pay a bit more may be valid for some private yacht owners as well ...

Chris, there is video of how they lift sailing and motor yachts, and catamarans here:

Melody, thanks for that. That trailer is fine. Its the ones with just two sets of pads either side, and each set is split into 2 pivoted pads. Those are really bad for traditionally built yachts. Ironically, lighter built yachts such as the Bavaria and Beneteau are fine on them due to the internal "eggbox" inner lining.

I noted that they also used Steel frame cradles, so it is a possibility for the future.

Hope you had a reasonable season.

Melody

Melody, thanks for that. That trailer is fine. Its the ones with just two sets of pads either side, and each set is split into 2 pivoted pads. Those are really bad for traditionally built yachts. Ironically, lighter built yachts such as the Bavaria and Beneteau are fine on them due to the internal "eggbox" inner lining.

I noted that they also used Steel frame cradles, so it is a possibility for the future.

Very good season thanks. Two more weeks to go and, apart from a couple of periods of heavy rain, the weather is holding well.

The steel frame cradles are one of the main reasons we use this boatyard. The other two are that they have earthquake-proof hard standing, and a security entrance gate that's manned 24 hours.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

Melody,

Additional information always welcome! We'll quote you with web site link if you wish.

JimB

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Went into planaco today they have the exactly same design of trailer as both Takis and Jordon . Prices considerly more expensive no launching on weekends or evenings .Nice clean concrete yard not sure about being earthquake proof though
Would say it's very good.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Went into planaco today they have the exactly same design of trailer as both Takis and Jordon . Prices considerly more expensive no launching on weekends or evenings .Nice clean concrete yard not sure about being earthquake proof though

Melody

Like most things in Greece, price is often negotiable :) We've used them for 15 years and put half a dozen boats there each winter so we get better rates. In fact, they haven't gone up much in the time we've used them and I think other companies find the same. They reward loyalty.

Planaco are definitely more expensive but I'm not sure about considerably more - mind you we can reclaim the VAT of course, which private owners can't.

I think they will launch at weekends if you want but you have to pay double. I believe that's the same for all the yards, isn't it? Costas, the manager, is stuck on the mainland at the momen due to the ferry strike so maybe go in again when he's back to confirm this.

The advantages are:

- Better cradles, all metal.

- We saw the yard base being laid several years ago and it is definitely an earthquake-proof design. Concrete rafts about half a metre thick (seriously thick) with expansion spaces between them. It's the only yard with proper hard standing.

- 24 hour manned security gate.

- they can haul out big boats.

- They are a bit more professional with the way work is done, for instance they rig up proper cover or move boats inside for GRP work.

- With continual northerly winds the depth at the other yards shallows. In order to get boats in and out they may have to get a dredger in. Planaco is deeper and has a concrete barrier preventing sand being washed in. It's the only yard that can guarantee to get us in / out when we want, even if it's very early or very late in the year and there have been strong northerlies.

When your boats are your livelihood it's worth paying more for these things, and some private owners may feel the same. It's mainly companies who use Planaco but we've put private yachts there in the past.

If you want somewhere cheaper. I'd go with Jordan every time.

Last edited:
Visit site
Which is something I did, on your recommendation I am in Jordans yard, very impressed he is a pro.
I did intend to take you up on your offer to pop in and see you before I left but time beat me, will return end of February will hopefully pop in then.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Take care Chris as the yard does not have/use a travel lift .You have to enter dock and land on the trailer if there is any a swell on you bounce on the pads,there is a list of damaged yachts ,cannot say their names on here for obvious reasons.....
Other than that Melody is correct in saying it's a nice yard with a large concrete area with security, that said, not had a problem in the other yards that I have used since 1999. Pay your money make your own choice.

Visit site
Take care Chris as the yard does not have/use a travel lift .You have to enter dock and land on the trailer if there is any a swell on you bounce on the pads,there is a list of damaged yachts ,cannot say their names on here for obvious reasons.....
Other than that Melody is correct in saying it's a nice yard with a large concrete area with security, that said, not had a problem in the other yards that I have used since 1999. Pay your money make your own choice.

Which yard are you refering to not having a lift.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

That does not sound good. The Westerlies (along with Moodies) are strong boats but were never designed to be lifted from underneath, so you have to be very careful to span the ribs. A blind landing like that is not good news - so which Aegina one has a proper lift?