Advise needed for trip

steffen

Visit site
I am planning a trip south for 3 months next year starting from the Netherlands. My boat is a 32 footer well equiped (radar, plotter, dual GPS, etc.). We will mainly sail in coastal waters save perhaps the Biscay. Any tips on where to look for preparatory advise; what to take along, in general, things i have think of before departure.
tks in advance.

charles_reed

Visit site
Steffen,

Join the trail of Nederlanders taking the scenic route down S. There's about 40 doing it right now and drinking the place dry.

The best, most comprehensive English language pilots are the Royal Cruising Club Foundation Pilots of which there are 4 covering the area you're likely to sail.

N Brittany & English Channel by John Lawson
N Biscay By gavin McLaren
S Biscay BY John Lawson
Atlantic coast of Spain & Portugal by Annie Hammick. (You'll probably not need this unless you're into perpetual motion, it starts at Coruna)

They're not cheap, but they are good.

If you want most of it in one book, the Cruising Assocation Handbook is an alternative, but I would advise awaiting the 9th edition out early 2002.

For the French coat Bloc Marine's Votre Livre en Bord is excellent and only 99FF.

I fear you're falling into the trap most N Europeans descend into and cutting across the Bay to ghastly Gijon, missing out some of the best cruising (and eating) round la Rochelle, Bassin d'Arcarchon, Donostia, Bilbo (excellent new marina in Abra Getxo), Santona, Ribasdella (as a Dutchman you'll be over the moon with the Picos d'Europa).
Leave time to do the Rias Altas and Biaxas - and do the macho crossing Biscay on the way back, and from Ribadeo not Gijon.
Places to miss - Santander (expensive and noisy), Gijon (expensive, crowded and approaches littered with sharp, unmarked rocks), A Coruna (expensive, dirty and overcrowded).

I must declare an interest, being the W coast of France editor for the CA Handbook.

If you want any more info e-mail me direct on chasfgr@hotmail.com

saltydog

Visit site
I think you will find "Atlantic Crossing Guide" invaluable, equipment, weather etc
PS I would get a parachute sea anchor and a Subarella for value lifesavers

saltydog

Visit site
Re: Subarella??

its like an umberella ... only stronger, if a hole ocurs in the hull, you stick it thru from inside and then pull it back ... its advertised in the YW TM and PBO

G

Re: Subarella??

I have the feeling this is another good idea in theory, but somewhat useless in practice. What percentage of your underwater hull can you access from the inside to use a subarella? Limited protection, in my view. BTW, in the event of a large hole, does keel-hauling a jib offer any hope?