advice pls: how to remove decortive lines round hull?

AliFrank

Visit site
refinishing a moody 37, novice re technical boating terms, in process of trying to strip/peel off lines round hull? tempted to 'nitromorse' but realise not a good suggestion ha!!! have attempted with heat gun and credit card, however sticky, boat is 1987 so lines are quite a fixture...cheers

capricorn

Visit site
My old (1989) vinyl stripes came off very easily with gently heating from a hairdryer. I fould that if I got it too hot the adhesive would melt rather than soften leaving the sticky mess on the hull.

I removed the sticky mess with a cutting compound but some recomend acetone.

AliFrank

Visit site
thank you so much capricorn,........ 'vinyl stripes' yes that sounds much better...u can tell I'm a novice, but hey I'm handy with a paintbrush and a pot of varnish.... ali

Scubafill

Visit site
I removed the sun damaged stripes from my 1990 Hunter 26 while on the hard a couple of weeks ago.

Used SWMBO hairdryer and a very sharp scraper.

With a bit of practice you can get the temp just right so that the stripe comes away and folds like a fan on the scraper. As the old stripe cools down it becomes very hard and brittle. I had to keep cleaning the blade of the scraper with a penknife to ensure it was sharp and flowed underneath the stripes.

The adhesive that remained on the hull was cleaned off with Bostic adhesive cleaner, keep rotating the rag so that the old glue does not just spread about.

I managed this without any damage to the hull gellcoat.

I could still see a faint impression from the old stripes due to weathering which I used as a guide for the new self adhesive stripe's.

A polished hull and new stripes made Mystere look great.

Phil

capricorn

Visit site
You're very welcome.

Your next question should be "How do I apply the new stripes so that they don't look all wavy when I stand back and look at it from 30feet away?"

If you find the answer, let me know because my new ones look distinctly "wavy"!

gwennols

Visit site
my wife was kept out of trouble last week taking the old vinyl off with her nails worked really well, a quick polish and you couldnt see where it had been.

ghost

Visit site
dont use acetone, try what the guys are saying with a hair dryer -paint stipping guns are too hot- and a really sharp chisel, carefully, you should find it coming off a treat and somewhat....tantric?

garvellachs

Visit site
The new stripes can use the faint mark of the old ones as a pattern - assuming the old were on straight so to speak. To help it's worth using a line of masking tape (that posh blue stuff is good) to butt the new stripe up to. Then you can play about beforehand with the masking tape until it looks right from afar?

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You're very welcome.

Your next question should be "How do I apply the new stripes so that they don't look all wavy when I stand back and look at it from 30feet away?"

If you find the answer, let me know because my new ones look distinctly "wavy"!

[/ QUOTE ]Stick one end down to the hull for about 2~3" leaving the paper backing folded over underneath the next 2~3", then run the stripe the full length with the paper backing in place. Hold the tape tight and pull the paper off along the length of the tape while rubbing the tape down as you remove the tape. The first foot is tricky but as the paper backing "tail" becomes longer it becomes easier to pull teh backing off straight. A pencil mark or a strip of masking tape helps as a guide but if the tape is kept taught the finished tapeing should not be "wavy"
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

Hope the above is clear.