Advice on linking instruments on board

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can offer a little advice on how to link the instruments I have on board. I have a Raymarine e7 hybred chartplotter. An ipad at the chart table. A quark 8024 AIS receiver. ive also got Navionics on my Iphone.

Id like to link the chartplotter to the Ipad and both have AIS displayed on these. I cant use the quark USB port for power as its fallen off. Is it possible to power the Quark threw the NMEA connection points or via the VHF radio. Is there any gain to linking these to the VHF radio. planning to do a couple of night passages so quite like to get some sort of organisation on board.

Defiantly not tech savvy. any advice appreciated.

Steveeasy

TSB240

Visit site
My immediate thoughts and questions are?

How reliable is your damaged USB ported Quark likely to be?
It can't be powered through the nmea direct wire connections.

Maybe the USB port could be repaired?

You then need to provide a permanent 5v supply by installing a 12 to 5v dc psu/converter and powering it through the repaired USB port.

A working Quark could multiplex hard wired connections to and from your chartplotter or from any existing nmea instruments. In my experience this is of little additional benefit.
Not knowing what additional instruments you have. Do they have nmea or seatalk outputs?

Has the Quark been hard wired to your chartplotter to display ais targets? Have you ever viewed received targets from the Quark?

Without power it can't provide a WiFi signal to your phone or tablet so you cant display your ais received info on your phone or tablet.

Having ais contact info is most useful in the cockpit. Can you view your chartplotter in the cockpit?

What model of vhf radio do you have? Interconnection without an nmea interface is impossible and IMHO minimal additional benefit.

Personally I believe transmitting your own ais signal is a better and safer solution if venturing further offshore or in separation zones.

steveeasy

Visit site
My immediate thoughts and questions are?

How reliable is your damaged USB ported Quark likely to be?
It can't be powered through the nmea direct wire connections.

Maybe the USB port could be repaired?

You then need to provide a permanent 5v supply by installing a 12 to 5v dc psu/converter and powering it through the repaired USB port.

A working Quark could multiplex hard wired connections to and from your chartplotter or from any existing nmea instruments. In my experience this is of little additional benefit.
Not knowing what additional instruments you have. Do they have nmea or seatalk outputs?

Has the Quark been hard wired to your chartplotter to display ais targets? Have you ever viewed received targets from the Quark?

Without power it can't provide a WiFi signal to your phone or tablet so you cant display your ais received info on your phone or tablet.

Having ais contact info is most useful in the cockpit. Can you view your chartplotter in the cockpit?

What model of vhf radio do you have? Interconnection without an nmea interface is impossible and IMHO minimal additional benefit.

Personally I believe transmitting your own ais signal is a better and safer solution if venturing further offshore or in separation zones.
Hi,
Thanks for the above. the Quark was powered up when I bought the boat, but I removed everything as it was a jumbled mess. When I went to install it last week, the USB port fell inside the unit. completely disconnected.

My other instruments are Autohelm. GPS. Depth and speed. I Have Raymarine wireless wind.

I have chartplotter in cockpit. I wish to use Ipad at chart Table and Iphone too is useful.

I could replace the quark as im not sure if it is possible to repair it and they sell for £100 ish. I do have the a 12 to 5v dc psu/converter to power it.

My aim is to get the chartplotter, Ipad and Iphone to be using the same navigation software and display AIS if needed. Ill improve other instruments next year, My VHF is a SHGX1500.

I can link my chartplotter to the Ipad, but am I right I need to download software on to Ipad to display what is on the chartplotter.

Steveeasy