Advice needed on sticky stuff please

paulineb

Visit site
What can we use to stick the seal back onto the porthole. It has to be able to stick rubber to glass. We've tried Evo-stick and some other stuff where you mix two tubes together but neither worked for very long. As ever, this is of course the royal 'we'.

Pxx

G

try a motor shop. there's special stuff for gluing rearview mirrors to windscreens.

tcm

Visit site
Re: clean surfaces

the two surfaces need to be really really clean first. Probly get some um cleaning fluid that evaporates forgotten what tho. I bet it a good idea to rough the surface of the rubber too.

coliholic

Visit site
Pop in to your local car windscreen replacement people, Autoglass or whatever and if you ask one of the fitters nicely, and make a small donation to his favourite chaity, he'll let you have some of the stuff they use. I had a problem with the driver's window on my wife's car, the plastic guide bit that should have been bonded to the glass, fell off. Tried all sorts of stuff from Halfords to stick it back and nothing worked for any time. Then saw an Autoglasss van stopped in a layby and asked him what they use and he gave me the remnants of a tube of stuff and it worked a treat. Cost me a fiver, but then Sikaflex is what £15 a tube and once it's opened goes off pretty quick, so a fiver was cheap really.

I can't believe I'm doing this. Talking about Sikaflex. It'll be antifouling next.

BarryH

Visit site
Re:stuck up...

Sikalex is a brand name for polyurethane adhesive sealer, go to your local car shop, a half decent one and get so PU-FLEX. same stuff comes in black grey and white, costs about 7 quid a tube, you can clean off the excess with paint thinners (cellulose) or wait a few hours and trim to shape with a scalpel. works a treat lasts for years. if you cant get any, I'm working in asford hospital tommorow

Ta Ta

rodbin

Visit site
Try Pro-Stick it is a strong adhesive silicon that can be used even in damp. We use it for sticking trailers together stronger than bolts and used to make chassis on cars
For more details contact rodbin

rodneyb1647

stuartw

Visit site
Providing that we are still talking, AND you have stopped crying, I can help you.
Without doubt, the best product is a Dunlop Adhesives - DP2246. It used to be call ed Pu-Flex ( Already mentioned). It is a very, very, tough moisture curing polyurethane sealant/adhesive, which is used for glazing windows into skyscrapers. Once cured it is like a very tough rubber, and can be cut to shape, ie any excess can be knifed away. Both surfaces should be cleaned with say acetone (unless the glazing is plastic). It comes in a cartidge, so can easily be applied, and a moist finger (no jokes please) can be used to smooth it out to a nice shape. It will take some 24hrs for full cure, so must not be disturbed during this period. Acetone will remove it off your fingers if you are particularly messy.
DP2246 can be obtained from Portmere Rubber in S/Hampton, 023 8022 3628.
Good luck
Rgds
The not so pompous
Stuart