Advice Needed on Choosing the Right Marina for Long-term Docking - Emmanuel Katto Uganda

emmanuelkatto

Visit site
Hello fellow boaters,

I am Emmanuel Katto. I’m currently in the process of planning a long-term docking solution for my sailboat, and I would appreciate your insights and recommendations. I own a 30-foot sailing yacht and am looking for a marina where I can dock my boat for at least six months, ideally year-round. What key facilities and services should I be considering when choosing a marina? I’m particularly interested in maintenance support, fuel availability, fresh water, and shower/toilet facilities.

Thank you so much for your help! I’m looking forward to gathering your insights and experiences to make the best decision for my yacht.

Best regards,
Emmanuel Katto

stranded

Visit site
Hi Emmanuel. You’ve nailed some key issues there. Very few marinas have everything you might want, so you need to prioritise what is important to you. Other things to consider include:

Availability - I want to move my boat to the Atlantic coast of France, but the most popular marinas have waiting lists of 10 years or more. So it ain’t available then it doesn’t matter what qualities it does or doesn’t have.

Shelter - how safe would the marina be in bad weather; what are the marina staff like - would they check your lines regularly, especially in a storm.

Security - is crime a problem in the area.

How you use your boat - if you want to be able to pop down and go sailing locally, or just use it as somewhere to hang out, you’ll probably prioritise an attractive place with eg good bars and restaurants, and good cruising nearby.

But if you intend mostly to go on long cruises, using the marina mainly for storing your boat between times, then you may feel the facilities you outline will be more important than the local ambiance.

Are there facilities to lift your boat for maintenance and/or storage ashore either at the marina or somewhere you can reliably got to and from at the more weather prone beginning and end of the season.

Cost of course may or may not be an issue for you.

So much depends on your particular circumstances that only you can decide, but hopefully a few more things to think about.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
:Availability - I want to move my boat to the Atlantic coast of France, but the most popular marinas have waiting lists of 10 years or more.
Those waiting lists are for the yearly contracts with the lowest price, in most places you can still leave your boat for a full year under different types of contracts (visitor/transit, monthly/winter visitor, season/winter, half time in water/half time on the hard, with/without Passeport escales, etc. There are many available options, the biggest difference is of course the final price.