Advice for a prospective boat owner

blueflyingtonight

Visit site
Looking to buy a day boat for use around Wargrave/Henley. Have decided I don’t want to park it on my drive so need advice on mooring/storage. The cheapest mooring seems to be at the various locks up and down my local stretch of the Thames. (Haven’t yet enquired about availability). Does anyone have experience of mooring at a lock? I guess less secure than a boatyard but any other major drawbacks?

Cheers in advance.

Steve

Actionmat

Visit site
I've kept a boat on the Thames for 11 years on a private mooring with no security. Even though it's a nice neighbourhood, I've been broken into twice and had the outboard stolen from the dinghy. It's not nice and for a while spoilt my enjoyment of the river.
Having said that, even taking theft into account, over the years I've saved about £40,000 on the difference between marina and bankside mooring fees with the added convenience of being a lot closer to home than any marina.
With regard to lock moorings, Hurley is a lovely place but even they've had break ins. Unfortunately, idiots and opportunists are everywhere. Your choice will be down to cost, convenience, security and availability.

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
The security issue depends a lot on the type of boat. Some day boats with an inboard diesel and minimal fittings can be quite unattractive to thieves as outboards and other accessories are much easier pickings. Below a certain size 5 metre ish presents more of a risk of the whole boat vanishing. Certain of the illegally moored accomodation rental boats seem to acquire a new tender minus OB on a regular basis with the tender vanishing shortly thereafter (until it washes up somewhere downstream).

blueflyingtonight

Visit site
I'm looking for a boat 5m max with an outboard so I guess having somewhere secure to moor/store is very important. With regard to private moorings, is there a place where people tend to advertise?

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
A 4-5M boat on that part of the river will reward you with some great days out. It does however mean it will probably have (need no more than) a 10HP (ish) OB which is very 'liftable'. If it's an open boat the other factor you need to consider is covers. If you don't have them it will fill with water much quicker than you might imagine requiring regular trips to bail - especially this time of year. If you do have covers you'll need a plan where to store them when the boat is in use and get used to clearing lots of bird poop. Both of these can make spontaneous summer evening trips more hassle than they are worth.

Buy right, and you'll spend very little on fuel, servicing, or depreciation. Spending money on a practical and secure place to moor (or store on shore) should probably be your biggest spend. You are right to have prioritised selecting a mooring over selecting a boat as almost any boat can be fun in the right circumstances while some moorings will be a hassle under almost all circumstances. That said - the choice of boat and the choice of mooring go hand in hand and can't be decoupled.

Mirror Painter

Visit site

Ian E

Visit site
My father in-law has his day boat moored at Hurley lock. Been there 3 years with no issues (touch wood). There's always a risk or theft/break-ins and parking isn't close or easy on a weekend. Costs are a fraction of equivalent marinas. Best to pop along and have a chat with the lock keepers to see what works for you. Good luck. Totally worth it!!!

Actionmat

Visit site
I'm not surprised to hear that, Mirror Painter. I've often thought how easy it would be for one of the dodgier unlicensed boaters to pull alongside with an angle grinder. They all have generators.
A Police Officer once suggested I put locks on the zips of my rear canopy:rolleyes:

BotleyBuoy

Visit site
If my experience is anything to go by you'll find sourcing a boat a lot easier than finding an affordable mooring. If you do find a mooring with room for one more please let me know. Good luck.

.....A Police Officer once suggested I put locks on the zips of my rear canopy:rolleyes:

Tells you all you need to know about the effectiveness of the police. As does this thread from 31/3.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?497956-Dark-Blue-Narrow-Boat-with-Astro-turf-on-the-roof

Last edited:

Riverleak

Visit site
If you're using an outboard secure it with two Yamaha Yamlocks. Made from stainless steel, they're by far the best outboard lock available. Expensive but cheaper than a new outboard. http://www.kingsmarine.co.uk/acatalog/Engine_Accessories.html

I was livid when my outboard was nicked but probably not as livid as the owner of a boat I saw where the thieves had chopped off all cables and sawed the transom out.

Yeah they'll do that for a big outboard, but for smaller ones a lot of hassle, a lot of noise and if it's well secured they'll take easier pickings.

Actionmat

Visit site
Yeah they'll do that for a big outboard, but for smaller ones a lot of hassle, a lot of noise and if it's well secured they'll take easier pickings.
But who's watching, or more to the point, enforcing? People today are more likely to watch or film on their mobiles than intervene. And the River Police on the non tidal disappeared how many years ago?

BotleyBuoy

Visit site
Everything! First of all ask when the pictures were taken and if more than a month ago ask for new ones.

I went to see a boat last week which was for sale using photos which the owner admitted were 5 years old. He assured me "it looks just like is does in the photos". Yeh, right! It looked like it did in the photos plus 5 seasons of being bumped up and down moorings and locks on the river system and 5 winters stored outdoors. On another one I asked the 'Boatshed' broker the photo question, he told me "the photos were taken over a year ago". I've now found out the photos were taken at least two years ago and the boat has been bobbing around on its mooring and neglected since. So he wasn't lying but he was misrepresenting the product. I've found this practice seems to be normal and accepted with secondhand boats.

Back to "your" boat. Check the hood for rips and tears and make sure any zips or fastenings work as they should. Ask when the engine was last serviced and ask for receipts/invoices. If there's no written evidence for work assume it hasn't been done. Check the hull for marks, scratches/gouges. Check the gel coat all over looking for cracking and crazing. View the boat in the dry because it is is wet you won't be able to inspect the gel coat properly and it will look more shiny, and more tempting.

Also look for a boat which has been on the market for at least six months. The majority of the boats I've looked at were over-priced and were "reduced to sell" after 6 months or so.

The exception was a nice looking Hardy with documented service which sold within a few days of listing and before I was able to get to see it.

I've been boat hunting for nearly two years now and am still looking for an "honest boat" from an "honest seller". I'm afraid my experience has engendered an unhealthy level of cynicism and the first question in my head is now "why is this lying bast:)rd lying to me ?"

Good luck.

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Val Wyatt - honest and straightforward in a couple of dealings I've had with them.
Liberty Boats - No UK dealer listed and http://www.libertyboats.co.uk seems to have been abandoned by BB Marina.
Stored on a side roller trailer for 5 years - not sure that would do the hull of a budget grp boat much good. Very close inspection called for.
Only 6 hours use per year. Run on very old fuel probably and stored with littloe oil coating I'd prefer a boat that had at least 5x that much use.
Price - even allowing £500 for the trailer it looks expensive. I'd value it nearer £4K+ trailer. Boat minus engine in only £4.5K ish new.
All that said - if my fears are unfounded and you can get it for a good price it could be a great fun little boat on the non tidal river with decent amounts of freeboard (often not found on boats that size).

Last edited: