Advice for a Holland trip

JeffBoath

Visit site
I'm sailing to Holland from Blyth next Saturday (21st June), the plan is to sail to Ijmuiden, stop at the marina there, then on to Amsterdam (Sixhaven) and then up to the Ijsselmeer for a weeks cruising. I'll be doing this in my Elizabethan 31 with me plus a crew of 2, I would be very grateful for any tips, hints or general advice as this is my first "proper" trip. I've done several overnights and sailed extensively around the east coast but never to a foreign land. Thanks in anticipation.

westhinder

Visit site
I'm sailing to Holland from Blyth next Saturday (21st June), the plan is to sail to Ijmuiden, stop at the marina there, then on to Amsterdam (Sixhaven) and then up to the Ijsselmeer for a weeks cruising. I'll be doing this in my Elizabethan 31 with me plus a crew of 2, I would be very grateful for any tips, hints or general advice as this is my first "proper" trip. I've done several overnights and sailed extensively around the east coast but never to a foreign land. Thanks in anticipation.
Nothing very difficult about it. Just make sure your charts are up to date, as the TSS off Rotterdam was moved further offshore last year and I believe the big ships' approach to Ijmuiden was also changed rrelatively recently.
The marina at Ijmuiden is not particularly attractive, merely convenient as a first port of call.
Sixhaven Marina tends to become very full in season, which restricts your ability to leave at your own chosen time, but I suspect you will be okay now outside the weekends. There is a big new marina about a mile before you come to Sixhaven. It appears less convenient for the city centre, but there is a ferry crossing from next to the marina to Central Station.
Enjoy your trip!

johnalison

Visit site
You can pick up Schengen forms in the Ijmuiden harbour office and leave them completed there.

The Ijselmeer is lovely and full of interesting places that you won't exhaust in a week. We have enjoyed Hoorn, Enhuizen, Hindeloopen and Makkum, but there are many others. Have a great sail.

machone

Visit site
I can recommend Medemblik for a day or two. I am biased because I live there. My favourite restaurant is d'artiest -
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Artiest-Medemblik_North_Holland_Province.html

But there are a few good ones around the entrance to the harbour. If you visit at the weekend or a Wednesday there's a steam railway to Hoorn which is worth a visit, especially the old town around the harbour. There's a good nautical museum in Enkhuizen worth seeing too. Lelystad is home to the Dutch aeronautical museum. Too many things in Amsterdam to mention but the newly renovated national maritime museum is a must, and the Van Gogh museum if early on a week day.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Personally wouldn't bother with the Ijmuiden marina. We normally carried on straight through to Amsterdam. If Sixhaven is full (I was turned away once even though it wasn't as chokka as I have seen in the late afternoon) try Aoelus a few hundred metres further on on the left. Very friendly with a good bar/clubhouse. It's right next to a good supermarket - excellent local shops (many muslim) in the area.

Enjoy.

PS. We always enjoyed Hoorn for a stopover.

sailorman

Visit site
Personally wouldn't bother with the Ijmuiden marina. We normally carried on straight through to Amsterdam. If Sixhaven is full (I was turned away once even though it wasn't as chokka as I have seen in the late afternoon) try Aoelus a few hundred metres further on on the left. Very friendly with a good bar/clubhouse. It's right next to a good supermarket - excellent local shops (many muslim) in the area.

Enjoy.

PS. We always enjoyed Hoorn for a stopover.

its the cheapest supermarket around, be cearfull with the trolleys, the wheels lock-up if taken from the car park, how do i know :disgust:

JeffBoath

Visit site
UPDATE:Well, left Blyth last Saturday, no wind at all, nor the next day , headed into Whitby but forecast showed no wind for the coming days. Motored north to Hartlepool (no wind), couple of beers, next day (no wind) motored north to Blyth and gave up. Gutted but really didn't want to motor all the way to Holland. Maybe next year.