advice for a first time up river of Tower Bridge please

ChattingLil

Visit site
hello all
my friend is possibly facing a trip from Packet Boat to Limehouse in a narrow boat - via Brentford I assume. It will be their first time on the Thames. They are intending to come via the canal, but (apparently and unknown to me), there are some lock closures planned and if they miss their timing, they'll be required to return via the river.

Please pass on your tips and advice for newbies. It's a small narrow boat, but the engine is good. They will have an anchor, lifejackets, radio.

I've assumed they'll need to time it to arrive at Limehouse LW-2 to ensure there's enough water to get in.

As a raggie, my universe and experience ends at Tower Bridge - so have nowt to contribute! THanks.

oldgit

Visit site
First and foremost lots of daylight and hence to use a decent early morning flood tide to do all the work going back up. !
Warm clothing vital,a cold miserable crew will not be giving their full attention to navigation.
Despite being in the middle of London,it can be very exposed to wind and rain.

A great journey to do in any boat and an amazing experience if done in relaxed and comfortable circumstances

Last edited:

Gavi

Visit site
I do not know narrow boats but I think it is important to check there are no openings near the waterline that can let water in. Apart from that, it is an excellent trip. I agree with Old Git - get on the flood and ride the water all the way to Teddington

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes lots of Narrowboats are aircooeled and have large intake near the stern, NBs have sunk on the tideway due to this.
Otherwise Brentford to Limehouse is straightforward, good idea to ring the lockkeeper there and tell them you are coming, they are very good and ring to check if you are late.
If they have an anchor make sure it's actually tied on and ready for immediate use, there is lots of rubbish in the tideway and if they foil the prop the tide carry's you towards the bridges scarily fast.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I do not know narrow boats but I think it is important to check there are no openings near the waterline that can let water in. Apart from that, it is an excellent trip. I agree with Old Git - get on the flood and ride the water all the way to Teddington
They're going in the other direction and taking the ebb to Limehouse.

oldgit

Visit site
H,mm .Praaps best done on a neap in that direction and get into the shelter of the lock entrance ASAP to get out of the tidal flow.

rosssavage

Visit site
That'll be an interesting turn into the lock entrance on a NB!!

Good trip to do, but be so so careful in London. Be prepared.

Engine health / service, and lots of emergency gear. Anchor. Life jackets. Two working VHF's.

Good weather and a neap tide are essential, as is constant vigilance for the often large and fast moving commercial traffic.