Adverc vs Sterling?

bedouin

Visit site
My present charging set up struggles to provide 13 volts - even when it is only powering the instruments, so I am going to fit some form of 'smart' alternator controller this winter.

The obvious choice seems to be between the Adverc and the Sterling products - (or the X-Alt that seems functionally equivalent to the Sterling).

The Sterling is the cheaper, and cleverer unit as it claims to provide 3/4 stage charging - and that causes me some concern. I am aware of the theory of 3 stage charging when applied to a single battery, but I don't see how this can work effectively with twin batteries.

In my set up the engine starter battery gets very little use, maybe 15-20 seconds every time I start the engine, whereas the domestic battery often gets discharged to below 12V. So with the Sterling regulator, how can it be configured so as to boost the domestic without over-cooking the engine?

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I am wondering about fitting an extra diode in the engine battery charging circuit to provide a margin of safety in that circuit.

Or perhaps I should fit the Adverc. The salesman at the show made a very creative argument for that providing 3 stage charging...

G

This will be very limited and dated as they apeare to have given up finishing creating or doing any updating of the site.

Try using WWW searches under the names and terms, when I did it there was a lote of information. Its usfull to use somthing like the Google newsgroup search engin as well.

cynthia

Visit site
Just invested in an Adverc at the show - seems to be a tried and tested product over a number of years - what's more they gave us a good discount!

On the winter jobs list for fitting - so no further info at the moment!

Miker

Visit site
Can't comment on the Sterling. I put in an Adverc last winter because I was putting in twin domestic batteries to cope with the cooler unit I was putting in the built in cool box.

I am no electrical expert and Adverc were very helpful and patient with all the queries I sent them for advice.

All I can say is that all three batteries seem to charge up quickly from the engine and that the whole bag of tricks was an expensive way to ensure the beer is cool.

pvb

Visit site
Adverc is good...

I've put Adverc regulators on several boats over the years, with good results. The Adverc people are very helpful, which is a compelling reason for choosing their products. The Sterling regulator is probably about as good, although I'm not sure whether it includes the battery temperature sensor which is integrated in the Adverc sensing lead.

For trouble-free operation, you ought to use a blocking diode (or possibly a battery combiner). The Adverc senses the actual charging voltage at the battery terminal, and so compensates for voltage losses in the diode and wiring.

Don't worry too much about your engine starting battery, you're unlikely to cook it. If it's an ordinary lead-acid battery, you can easily check the electrolyte level and top up as required. If it's a sealed maintenance-free battery, the battery chemistry resists overcharging quite effectively.

You've mentioned your "domestic battery". Do you have just the one? If so, you might give some thought to adding at least a second battery in the domestic circuit. The biggest cause of battery problems on boats is expecting too much from too few batteries. Also, it's much easier to recharge a bigger battery bank.

dick_james

Visit site
I fitted a sterling because it was cheap. It does do the job but I had to reduce the charge voltage as Sterling set it to 14.8v which is too high, just boils the electrolyte which Mr. Sterling seems quite proud of when you read his instructions. 14.4 is the max. The sensor is usually fitted to the service batteries which means that the starter battery does get a lot more attention than it needs especially if the leads to the service batts are longer than the start battery (therefore less volt drop in the start batt leads). I seem to recall from the chat I had with the Adverc people that they take care of that somehow. From what I've learnt since, if I was doing it again I would use the Adverc.
If you have splitter diodes then you definitely need something that converts the alternator from machine sensed to battery sensed, which all these devices do.

snowleopard

Visit site
Aadverc experience?

i have an adverc controller. it puts out around 14.25 v and drops it back to 14.0 for 5 minutes in every 20 but it keeps on doing this regardless of the state of charge. it definitely doesn't drop back to a float charge level like a switch mode charger. adverc say this is ok as long as there's a load on the system (autopilot, nav lights etc). the start batteries will overcharge ass they're generally hotter than the domestic bank and nearer the alternator. i have a breaker and disconnect them after 5-110 mins running (a real pain as i then have to remember to re-connect them next time i start the engines.