advanced angine - suitable for marine use ?

Bilgediver

Visit site
what if you turn it through 90degrees so the long axis runs fore and aft ?

OK, it then needs a right angle gearbox...

You both forget that the engine model in your boat will have multiple cylinders. Say 4..6..8..10 Need a wide MOBO or cat then to accomodate . Mind you with reduction it would drive paddles OK:D:D

DownWest

Visit site
[
An engine that I thought was perfect for the boat was the Steyr Puch engine which was widely used by the militart (Haflinger?)

The Haflinger was a little boxer (opposed twin) similar to the Citroen 2CV ( I had two) So no relation.

Though it was used in an Arbathe(sp) version of the Fiat 500 that used to frighten Mini Coopers.

Last edited:

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Haven't single crank-shaft, opposed piston marine engines been around for nearly100 years,
made by Doxford.

The Napier Deltic engine seems to use the same idea for port timing and has been in use for many years. Nice cut away engine at the York Railway museum if you are into that sort of thing

Doxford ( you get an idea of the size by the guy at the controls)

A B&W, also opposed piston

And a couple of pictures of a Napier Deltic. Note the 3 crankshafrs

Driven and worked on them all in my yoof!

Last edited:

mersey

Visit site
You are correct, Commer used the TS3 (TS4 was mothballed) for about 15 years in their heavy commercials. It all seems a touch of smoke and mirrors to me or akin to reinventing the wheel.......It's strange that Commer was under the Rootes flag which then went to Chrysler who must still hold patents and they are an American company. What goes round comes round I suppose.

Unless they do some neat tricks with the fuel management, emmissions and noise control, I would not entertain two stroke diesel in anything that I would own. They where smelly, smokey and very noisy and from what I remember not fuel efficent at all.

Actually Chrysler Europe, which Rootes was part of was sold to Peugeot, and there was some partnership with Renault Trucks. I believe the rights to the TS3/4 are owned now by Renault.

D

Deleted member 36384

This engine does not operate like a Doxford. The bloke explains that the forces on each pair of pistons is always opposed and one set of connecting rods "pushes" while the other "pulls". He then explains that the common crankshaft does not have to support significant thrust loads. I guess it floats on its constraints. This is a neat idea and I expect that this would significantly reduce vibration. Like sarabande, I thought if it was to be used in a yacht then it would have to be mounted longitudinally and use a 90 degree gear box. However, it could be mounted on the vertical plane as well or even on a diagonal.

Interesting concept.

DaveS

Visit site
Like sarabande, I thought if it was to be used in a yacht then it would have to be mounted longitudinally and use a 90 degree gear box. However, it could be mounted on the vertical plane as well or even on a diagonal.

Interesting concept.

Or perhaps with the cylinders mounted longtitudinally and the crankshaft vertical and connected to a saildrive leg...

DaveS

Visit site
Yes, but were is the F-N-R box?

Well, it's a 2 stroke, so it might be able to go in either direction, just like big marine 2 strokes. If so, no gearbox required!

If not, or you have a particular desire to run in neutral, then a conventional gearbox at the top of the leg.

Last edited: